Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with cat5e wire jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas697

Technical User
Jan 3, 2019
US
I am trying to wire some wall jacks I purchased from Amazon.

WallJacks

Here is a better image of it.
IMG_20190102_232742_kaat91.jpg

I have tried following the diagram on it and also many other examples online with no luck. Any suggestions on how to wire it?
For testing, I cut the end off a patch cat5e cable I had. So I know the male end is correct.

Cruising the feedback from your link, I noticed a review :

1.0 out of 5 stars The 568B wiring diagram on this product is wrong!
July 12, 2016
Verified Purchase
Wow -- just wow. The 568B wiring diagram on this product is wrong! If you follow the wiring diagram, you'll wire your jack wrong! Green should be blue and the blue is where the green should be. I haven't decided if I'm going to return the ones I haven't used yet, there is nothing functionally wrong here, but if you're not comfortable with this fluke, don't buy this.

First check the label on your jack to see if it was done wrong as the above review suggests.

To be sure, punch it down as indicated and wire map it with a tester. Take pics of how its punched down and the results of the tester as evidence that it's wrong, then fight tike H*%@! to get them replaced.

The colors by pin definition are correct. 568B is the most common, w/or,or,w/gn,bl,w/bl,gg,w/br,/b for pins one through eight.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Never use a patch cord because the wire is stranded and is not meant to be terminated with a 110 blade.
cpolly1 said:
No one uses A series anymore.

If you are adding to an existing infrastructure follow the pattern that is predetermined. Some older patch panels are hardwired for 568A. There are still quite a few companies that insist on 568A.

In the olden days the standard was 568 and no variations. In the 1990s, when the original TIA/EIA-568 was published, 258A had the most widely installed UTP cabling infrastructure.

ANSI/TIA-568 recommends the T568A pinout for horizontal cables. This pinout's advantage is that it is compatible with the 1-pair and 2-pair Universal Service Order Codes (USOC) pinouts. The U.S. Government required it in federal contracts but I doubt if that is true anymore. The standard also allows the T568B pinout, as an alternative, if necessary to accommodate certain 8-pin cabling systems. This pinout matches the older AT&T 258A (Systimax) pinout.

Yeah, I was installing cable long before Cat 5 came along.

To expand upon what Dean (Professor Shadow) said, if adding to existing cabling, use the same standard that is already in place. If starting with a blank sheet of paper, then, use whatever has been specified in the work order/request/documents. If there is no standard has been specified, pick one. I, myself, prefer 568B and will always use it unless instructed to do otherwise. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back