Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Avaya S8500/Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccollet

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2023
US
Hello everyone,

I rescued an old Avaya S8500 PBX from work and I'd like to connect it to C-NET. Unfortunately before I got to it someone removed the hard drive. I have the install media (Communication Manager 2.2) and I have the sold-to number and I work for the company it was sold to, but Avaya won't give me the license or authorization files because I'm not a "business partner". I called up the company that serviced the device for us and they wouldn't give me the license either since it isn't under a current support contract.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get around this? I'm not trying to pull any shenanigans here, I just want to get at the license that we paid for.

Someone probably should have a backup of their security file??

This would be dificult as Avaya's policy doesn't lend itself well when a system has "lost" it's association with the original owner. Also note that licenses are Right To Use (RTU) so officially you don't really own anything just the right to use their IP and without a support contract it would be difficult to do anything. The only option is to request an upgrade to the latest release R10 and get some discounts from being a customer with an install base on Avaya.

customer location may have used ftp for os, security, xln backups or they could have had
usb Addonics compact flash card with scheduled backups.

Any of these backups would build you a plug n play s8500 after you use the CD to install 2.2 CM version.
The license would be associated with legacy cabinet ipsi board.
If you have the serial number from the ipsi card, Avaya can use RFA to generate a new license and authentication file.
The xln backups would be where customer's CM programing was saved.

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back