Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with apps in PN via subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2002
GB
We have 6 Citrix servers running FR3/SP3 on our main network (10.51.x.x).

We have a remote site on a leased line link which now need to access our Citrix servers (10.63.215.x).

I am unable to get the PN client to connect to the Citrix servers from the remote site and get any applications.

I have managed to successfully run an application from the remote site via a .ica file which proved that the link is working sucessfully.

I have tried adding a IP address for one of the servers manually in the PN client but it made no difference.

What do I need to do to get browsing of applications working ?

MF XP doesn't use the legacy browsing technique that MF 1.8 used to use, you should be able to connect with TCP 1494 I think.

Ok, but that doesn't explain what my problem is or what I can do to resolve it.

We have experienced the same problem as you, but manually putting the IP address when you create a new application set fixed the problem for us. I assume you did create a new application set, then add a manual IP address in the first section. When you did that, did your farm name pop up?

We ended up using web interface which is a much more efficient way of multiple subnet application sharing. I would highly recommend it.

The ICA Client defaults to HTTPS/TCP for Published Applicatios, I ocasionally get the problem you describe and fix it by altering the ica client to use

"Always Use Server Location Protocol" not "User Server Default".

I am still using TCP/IP rather than Citrix prefered HTTPS. I understand its a bit more secure but our network is easily controlled.

I also confirm that you open TCP1494 and UDP1604.

Good article and source:

On our main subnet (where the Citrix servers are) client just launch PN and it automatically finds our farm and displays the applications.

I presumed that by setting the server ip address or name in the connections tab in the settigns icon it would do the same accross the router.

I didn't expect to have to add a new application set.

I want this to be seamless to users who could log into either subnet as they are both on the same domain.

You can make this seamless by setting one machine up to work the way you want.

Then copy the AppServ.ini and pn.ini from %Userprofile%\LocalSettings\Citrix, rename them *.src and over write the client install location sources.

As each user downloads the client, the new settings will be sent to them so they wont have to set anything up.

Plenty of good articles available how to set Citrix PN environment.

AS previously suggested; make sure both ports open, 2nd Server Farm has publihed the applications, correct protocol is selected, try tcp/ip rather than https/tcp?

Sorry, run out of ideas now. Regards ACO

Perhaps I haven't made it very clear.

We only have 1 farm at 1 site. The other site is on a different subnet but is on the same domain.

Sorry to be thick, but...

One Farm on Subnet 10.51 Local Clients fine I presume.

Remote Office 10.63 need access to Published Applications on Farm on 10.51.

So currently no users have ICA client installed at 10.63?

At Remote Office 10.63, have you managed to get any working?
Do you get as far as PN prompting for password to refresh application set?
Are there any policys configured not to allow any IP other than 10.51 to connect on farm?
If so, I think this is a protolcol issue. What potocol setting are in application set settings?

You are correct on the config.

All network client are Win XP PC's built using RIS and Altiris to ensure all are identical on the main 10.51 subnet. They are then relocated to the 10.63 subnet and obtain new IP addresses via DHCP.

So all machines are identical. The ones on the main 10.51 site browse and locate the Citrix farm ok but the ones configured the same on the 10.63 subnet don't seem to locate the Citrix server.

As all PC's are on the same domain I am currently doing some testing logging in as myself to see if it is a profile config issue.

Hi,

Add into your DNS server:-

ica 10.51.??.??

When your client then runs PN, it should resolve the call and work!

Cheers,
Carl.

PaulThomas

Sorry to take so long to respond,

If you are still having trouble, from what you have told me, it seems all you need to do is tell the remote clients where the Farm resides. In the client setup, I.E. Program Neighborhood,

When searching for a farm using the drop down box in "Search for New Application Set", there is a button imediately below named "Server Location", use this, ensure correct protcol listed, click on the "Add" button and add I.P. Address of the Main Citrix Server (Name/Term escapes me at present, but I mean the server that controls the FARM) THen click OK and return to the form with the drop down box to browse for the FARM, Now drop the box, you should see the FARM name, as you would with any local client.
Add "ica" to DNS if using HTTPS/TCP else if TCP no need, just add server ip address.

Hope this helps

ac0636

Thanks.

I pretty much got to that last week, just haven't had the opportunity to reply back.

I need to do some more work as I want to add the farm information to all of the users pn.ini files so that it will appear automatically for them rather than having to add it manually to each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back