Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with a Win2k Server 'Repair'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpopa

Programmer
Mar 3, 2005
US
I managed to do something dumb a few days ago. I was pulling a system out of my employers rack on the top shelf, and the rack started to tip. I saved the rack, but lost the system I was pulling out. Damage physically was minimal, but the system wouldn't boot. One new motherboard later and I could boot, but I would get a BSOD every time I got into windows. I repaired the OS using the install disk, and everything went seemingly fine. Most of my apps still run, but I am having issues with two apps. The most important app I need to get running is the IIS. For whatever reason the RACM service fails on startup, and that's causing problems. It gives me an Access Denied and an error code of "5". Googling provides little to no help here, but I was thinking about one thing in particular that bugged me. The new mobo has a different chipset for the LAN, and thus created a "Local Area Connection 2" I was however able to assign the same IP address, and it seemingly still worked. I think however this is the root of my problems with getting these service failures. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Specifically how to blow away the old network card or anything else you can think of. Thanks!

From Computer Management you can right click Device Manager from the menu under View you can select Show Hidden Devices. You should now be able to see the old nic hardware and remove it.

RoadKi11

Schedule some downtime and start again from scratch.

If it's a mission critical server the servers important requests then I would suggest doing all again from scratch. Getting BSOD's and now service errors after a major new hardware change? - cut your losses trying to firefight and start again.

Windows media and a backup tape! ;-)

Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

check the arp cache if the ip is still bound to the mac adress of the old nic (static?), if so, flush and rebuild arp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back