Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with a VPN connection please

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanie69

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
GB
Hi there

I have a vpn connection set up for my company to connect to another company but for some reason when it is connected it does not allow the computer is is running on to access anything else for example, email, server, internet.

I have checked the settings but cannot find why can anyone help please.

Sean Klemis

You might have configured to use the default gateway on the remote network, uncheck that option.

where is that option i cannot find it

Can you provide some detail about the type of VPN we're talking about here?

the vpn is cisco vpn client 4.0.5 (rel) and it was provided by the customer for connection into there network, i have noticed that the option to check or uncheck use local lan is checked.

Is this there lan or mine.

thanks

basically once the vpn has connected everything on the machine that runs from our server and the internet stops including email, antivirus network connections, files, ping the lot.

i will try and if it does not help i will be back on here tommorow thank you very much.

If that doesn't do it, you should try and use split tunneling instead.

Once the change is complete, get a copy of your routing table from your VPN client software. That should tell you if your default gateway is on your local LAN or the dialed-in one.

Hope this helps..

OK this is my first real use of vpn as i just started this job and in my old role vpn and remote connections were nother dept, so could you simplify this a bit for me.

Oh by the way the allow local lan access does not make a difference if it is checked or unchecked

Sean

When you establish an IPSEC VPN tunnel to another network, you are binding the IP in your PC to that remote network, locking out your local network...unless you expressly tell the VPN that you will allow split tunnelling (network capabilities in the reverse direction). Be careful with this...it is typically disabled by default because there are security implications...essentially your VPN connection could be used as a portal between the 2 networks. In most cases, it's between the public Internet and the corporate network, hence the concern. Some VPN suppliers enable the VPN to specify exactly which network can be receached with split tunneling enabled (such as a local printer defined on 192.168.2.x for example).

Long and short of it, sounds like the problem is split tunneling, and you'll need to decide the risk/use.

where can i find the split tunneling option as i cannot see it on my vpn settings i can see transparent tunneling and ipsec is selected over port XXX.

would the setting be selected on the remote router that the connection connects into.

Sean Klemis

Typically found on the host end of the VPN...in your case, if you're using a VPN client to get to the other network, their network would have the VPN host (router).

thank you i found this out today when talking to the customer and i explaied the situation.

Thanks for all your comments and help, i like this forum its brill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back