Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - Why do i get illegal opration performed when i run pagemaker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPP

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
IN
Can anyone help me on this at the earliest. Will b very grateful

What was the specific message that appeared after 'illegal operation'? 'Illegal operation' simply means the program died. Was it of natural causes?

What steps did you do before it died?

HPP,

Also, what version of PM and what OS? did PM worl properly before and just stop? If so, did you make any changes to your system? Does it die on start-up or when working on a doc? More info will help us help you. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I am using win 98 and pagemaker 6.5. the error i get is the program has performed illegal operation with a window showing close button and details.
In detail it shows the program has caused fault in the module kernel32.dll
This error even sometimes comes pagemaker 5.0 and other softwares like office, coreldraw to.

The problem is not with PM per se, but a windows problem. Kernel32.dll error is a generic "windows is shrugging it's shoulders because it has no clue what happened and is going to shut down now," error. Since it is happening with multiple apps, it is likely a hardware problem.

The first things i would do are to delete ALL temp files, reboot, ScanDisk, Reboot, defrag, reboot and then seeif problem persists.

If so, you might want to back up all pertinent files and reinstall win98. In my opinion, with 95, 98 & ME, the registry gets so screwed over time that a clean reinstall is the only fix.

Here are some causes of this error:
Damaged swap file
File allocation damage
Damaged password list
Damaged or incorrect version of the Kernel32.dll file
Damaged registry
Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground bounce, or bad hard disk controller
BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
.dll files that are saved to the desktop
Non-existent or broken Temp folder
A control panel (.cpl) file is damaged
Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
Damaged Java Machine
Damaged .log files
Damaged entries in the History folder
Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
Viruses
Damaged or incorrect Msinfo32.exe file
Low disk space

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

When I was running Windows ME, that would happen if my system memory ran out.

The machine has 128Mb of RAM and this error comes even if we run only pagemaker too.

HPP.. did you follow my suggestions yet? If not.. then don't expect some magical fix! This is an error that is directly related to Microsloth's OS. There is no easy fix, but my suggestions are the place to start before we begin to attempt diagnosing hardware problems, etc. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I think you are simply running out of system space! It did this to me all the time when I had ME.

schikore,

I'm confused. What do you mean by system space? Is this RAM, Hard drive space? Do other operating systems offer more system space?

Low HD space is very low on the possible causes, and most likely NOT the culprit. An insufficient amount of RAM would not be the cause.

My first course of action would be to back up, and then wipe the OS and do a clean reinstall. If one does not practise good housekeeping on a regular basis, such as ScanDisk and Defrags as well as deleting temp files at least once a month, then I would recommend starting.

And even so, Win98/ME still needs to be wiped from the system at least every 2 years and reinstalled just because the registry gets kludged with 'normal' use.

There are also some good registry cleaners on the market, and some very acceptable freeware ones. Just my opinion. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back