Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help web serve setup?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolgun

MIS
Feb 17, 2005
US
First, I'm newer of Linux, and wanto setup linux 9 server to be web server?? I've installed linux 9 on my computer, Can anybody tell me how to configure this server??

Thanks!

Dan

There is no such thing a linux 9. You may be thinking of Suse9 or RedHat9 or Slackware9. Whichever it is, it would be helpful to know.

Sorry about that, it is Redhat 9.0!!

Thanks!

Dan

I'd recommend against RedHat 9, it's very old and not very well supported any more. I ran it for years, but I've upgraded all my machines to Fedora (core 3 in production). Using fedora you just have to install the RPMs for httpd, php, mysql, php-mysql and you've got a pretty full featured web server ready to go.

Come back when you want to talk about firewalls, routing and DNS. :)

so ... ericbrunson ... i want to do actually the same things like poolgun and much more but i'm also a beginner!
my question is : what is the version that you recomand to be used on P III 400 Mhz 128 RAM???

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Thanks for your attitude!

I know you ain't talkin' to me but I don't think you can go wrong with almost any flavor of linux you pick. What eric was talking about is the distro from red Hat. They started charging for their enterprise edition and their stock holders didn't like them also working on the free version. Enter fedora. I switched from Red Hat 9 to Fedora Core 1 and now run Core 4 and have had very few problems with any of the versions.

just a recommendation. If you are planning on running the web server on the 400MHz 128 MB of ram, it should work just fine, but install as a text install only. If you install X-windows, you will find that most of the resources will be eaten by the GUI.

Also, once up and running, consider something like webmin which uses the web server to allow you to administer the server from a web interface (kind of like a GUI but without requiring the extensive overhead on the server pc).

Also, eliminating the packages that normally accompany a GUI install will give you quite a bit more disk space to server up web pages. It's a fun place to begin.

Very good points flubbard but sometimes it's hard to get newbies used to the idea getting along without a gui. If space on the drive is not an issue, they could always administer there server in run level 5 but let it boot into run lavel 3. This way they just need to type 'startx" to start the X server. Your suggestion about webmin is very good because it lets them administer their server remotely through their browser and they don't need to install a gui at all. None of this however means they don't need to learn their way around the linux shell. Especially when it comes to networking and the file system. Theirs almost no getting around those if your system ever crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back