Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Web-based Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmoh2o

Programmer
Jul 22, 2002
US
I am trying to create a web-based database using FileMaker Pro. I have FileMaker Pro Server 5.5 and FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited. Server 5.5 and Pro 6 Unlimited will be running on their own dedicated machines (Pro 6 would do the web pages and Server 5.5 would hold the actual database). My question is this: can FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited be used alone on the server machine so that clients can access the database (act as a server with web-based pages) or does Server 5.5 HAVE to be used to get a properly working database system. If Server 5.5 must be used with Pro 6 Unlimited to get a web-based database system how would that be done? Please be patient with me, I am new to FileMaker and this is my first web-based database. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's my understanding:

If you want people to be able to connect/manipulate/use your database (DB) from anywhere (such as the internet), then you need FM Unlimited. It's a webserver that specifically works with FM databases. All you need is a browser (IE/Netscape/Opera) to access the DB. One caveat: the users won't be able to do everything (READ: most things) that they would be able to do from FileMaker Pro (FMP). It works with the Internet and intranets.

If you need more functionality for your clients (users) then you'll need FM Server to serve up the tasty DB's and FMP clients to access the DB's. Every single computer that will access/manipulate the FM DB's will need a copy of FMP loaded on it. A site license or VBA package will probably save you money.

What you described is using two seperate machines, one with FM Server 5.5 on one and FM 6 Unlimited on the other, with the Unlimited machine pulling the DB's from the Server machine. My question is this: Do people need to connect to the DB's with FileMaker Pro clients, or would it be better to save money and eliminate the Server machine and the FM Server 5.5 software? If you need people to be able to connect via their web browsers AND FMP, then you DO need both.

Otherwise, you could just load Unlimited on your dedicated web server machine, develop the DB's on a machine with FMP loaded on it, and store the DB's on the FM Unlimited machine for access from the 'net (doing all of this via TCP/IP). I hope you understand... my explaination got a little convoluted because I tried to make it decipherable for a newbie. Just looking out for your bottom dollar...

Cheers,

-Ansel

Thank you for your response. They will need both the server and unlimited (need access via web and FM Pro clients). However, I have ran into a new "snag". It seems that the Apache web server where the Web Connector was going to be installed has Virtual hosts and the "Web Connector" software has a problem with that (does not support virtual domains for web server connector for FM Pro 5.0, 5.5 or FM Pro 6). Is there a way for my eMac machine (where the FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited software resides) to use the "Web Connector" software so that the web pages are dynamically created (using instant web publishing feature - homepage)or am I going to have to purchase a web server.

Thank you VERY much for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back