Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Want to administer RH Linux remotely. HOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedson99

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
CA
Hi all, could you please shred me some lights as to what solutions I can find for administering/manage Linux.

I want something just like PCAnywhere for Windows, is there such a thing?

If so, GREAT and please tell me!

If not, is there anything similar OR that I can easily administer a Linux server from a remote computer (eg. from home workstation to a Linux server in office)

Thanks everyone and please help me out!

Tedson99

Hi,

If you want to use VNC then I'd suggest doing it via ssh as, by default, it isn't that secure. See -->

Also, if you need a ssh client for win32 then try PuTTY --> - that also does plain telnet much better than the M$ default client.

You can also remotely access the X server over IP (assuming one is running) either with or without xdmcp. Without xdmcp you won't get a full-blown remote desktop - only individual X aware apps like xterms. However, xdmcp is udp based and is not really secure (can't be tunnelled via ssh) so is not really recommended except on private networks. See -->

One other option would be webmin which is http based but I wouldn't like to say how secure it is running a session over the public internet unless you use the ssl enabled version. See --> and

Hope this helps

I know exactly what you mean and here is the answer:

Redirect your Linux console to serial port, so if network is down you can still do maintenance on this server via modem or Remote Power Unit.

Make things simple :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back