Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help: VPN Tunnel but no network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ospdk

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
DK
I have now after weeks of fight succeeded making a VPN tunnel from my SSH client to Linksys BEFVP41, but now what?
I had expected that when the tunnel was established the network behind the Linksys was visible in explore.
Dos any one knows what iám missing.
(Behind the Linksys is 10 computers and one win 2000 server)

Regards
OSPDK

Hi,

Just connect \\remote.server.LAN.ip\sharedresource and enjoy. SSH does not support netbios broadcasts, so you will not see network neighbourhood.

Tanks Markku !

Thanks for taking time to help a desperate man !
Iám not 100% tough in this and I don’t think I get your answer right.
I connected the tunnel ant typed in explorer but nothing came up.
Wasn’t that what you mend ?

Regars

OSPDK

After you are connected try searching for \\server\share where server is the host name of the VPN server and share is the name of the shared resource. By searching I mean files and folders search select computer ect.

It should work - if you happen to have a share on that system called "sharedresource". If not, substitute the name of a share you do have on the system.

Once again thanks for your help !!
But that didn’t make any different and the search didn’t find anything but maybe you have something right.
skyman434unme wrote: "where server is the host name of the VPN server I don’t have any VPN server. I have mounted a Linksys BEFVP41 in the office (after that a 48port swits with all the computers and the server (win 2000 sev.)) and installed SSH at home.
Do I have to install something on the server.
In Linksys setup I have specified the server as Local secure group 192.168.1.100

That sounds like your tunnel is terminating at the Linksys and its lan ip address is 192.168.1.100
But I'm confused - why are using explorer and are you trying to connect to a web server? Are you trying to access a web management interface on the Linksys?
If not, find any workstation or server with a shared resource and try connecting to it.
ie: Wkstn1 with an ip address of 192.168.1.121 and a shared folder shared as "data".
Click on your START button and select RUN. Type in net use z: \\192.168.1.121\data
A command window should open telling you that the command completed successfully - close it.
Open My Computer and there should now be a drive z: that will open to the shared resource on the remote computer.
You can change z: to whatever drive letter you have free.

Hi ospdk,

You would be better off by specifying local secure group as 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0 so you will have access to whole network behind Linky.

No other SW necessary.

If the server pings just connect to your remote shares by IP-number unless have specified WINS-server to your remote PC settings.

"local secure group as 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0"

Should read: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

Hi ,

Still not much luck !
When I ping my server on 198.168.1.100 I get connection and ping time (start run ping etch.)
But when I type net use I get the message: no elements on the list.
Iám also able to ping Linksys at 192.168.1.1 but not able to get the setup window on my home computer, at office (inside network) there are no problem getting inside the Linksys.
When I try connecting the network trough the VPN, office is closed there for only the server Is turned on.
I have now no problem making the VPN tunnel it works every time, I only miss the shared folders.

Thanks again
OSPDK

When you go into the VPN tab at the bottom you should see a hyperlink that says more. Click on that and it will take you to another screen you will need to enable Netbios. The SSH will also have to allow netbios traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back