Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Unknown motherboard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the world of PC hardware and I have an old motherboard that I can't identify. Nothings seems to be written on it that states the model or maker. There is a CE and a T3 written on it. How can I Identify it?

The first screen on boot up normally has some details (the screen with the energy saver logo).
Most boards will print out the model of your mobo, BIOS make and version etc.

If you cannot boot, then some details on the ICs such as the chipset,also they type of socket for the CPU, and bios chip would help.

The chipset is usually the chip with Sis, Intel, AMD, etc on it.
The CPU socket, is the mount for the CPU, it may help to describe the size, and shape (if you have a large strip which is bigger than the slot for the RAM for the CPU, that may help).
The bios chip is usually the one with AMIBIOS or AWARD or something similar.

Try the direct approach first friend. Look for an FCC ID number on the board.

This web site is for FCC ID search...and here is the link

The following is a quote from that page for your information.
If you have a printed number on the board, this search will give you all you need to know, the fast version.

"FCC ID Help Page

This equipment authorization database contains records for equipment which was either Certified, Type Accepted, and/or Verified by the FCC.
Because of rule changes over the years, not all electronic equipment will have an authorization from the FCC and thus it will NOT be in this database. In general, if your equipment does NOT have an FCC ID number clearly labeled on it, it will NOT be in this equipment authorization database. In fact, the FCC would not have any record of it."

Hopefully your board has one.

Best of luck!
Kimber I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided. If I have helped, please vote my post helpful.

Sorry, I should have gave you this info in the first post. I cannot boot right now because the computer is not here, I only have the motherboard.

Socket 7 (Original processor Cyrix 6x86 (PR166*GP 133Mhz)

Award bios (058687691 PCI PnP 586)

3 SIMM ram slots, 4 PCI slots, 3 16 bits ISA slots

There are 3 main chip on the board but I don't witch one are north/south bridge etc.

The one between ram and cpu (North bridge I think) is
Intel PCIset
FW82439HX
L6524520
SU115
A6451423IC
D 652 Korea

The one between CPU an PCI bus (South bridge?) is
Intel PCIset
SB82371SB
L7012971
SU093

The one between CPU and ISA bus (Super I/O?) is
Megatrends
NS9652AP
PC87306-IBE/VUL

Also, if you could tell how to identify a motherboard with this info and tell me what chip is for what I would appreciate it. This way I won't have to ask each time a get a new board.

Thank you very much for the help

Have a read...some good info...in ENGLISH even...

Above my first post was some good info....

Kimber

btw....good post schu
I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided. If I have helped, please vote my post helpful.

X-Ray Your Computer

Have you ever wanted a complete list of all the hardware and software installed on your system on a single, easy to read and interpret Web page that's stored on your computer and not sent to a central database? Try out the Belarc Advisor! This very cool tool analyzes your computer and provides all sorts of details about your computer. The best part of the deal is that it's FREE. Download your copy at:

what is the difference between pci bus slots and isa bus slots? my guess is the boards you input.

I also need to figure out a motherboard that i have just received. Im just getting started in the pc world, so im starting at the lowest point to me. I have a 586 board that i would like to get information on so i may get parts for it. You ask the purpose of wasting my time on this. I will then after give the computer to my 10 year old brother so he may learn this to and use it for writing papers for shcool. I don't even know what kind of info to give you.

What i have tryed, stock video on hard drive and powered up. nothing on screen. check for fcc id none. All i need is a starting point. There is a fcc approval.

If this is not too much garbage then please anwser back.

Djames

Dereck_james@hotmail.com

Dereck,
There is a BIG difference between ISA and PCI. A lot of motherboards don't even have ISA anymore. The slot is usually black in color and is longer than a PCI slot. The PCI slots are light gray or white in color and are shorter.
The ISA bus is a lot slower than the PCI bus, also, hence the abandonment.
Have you added RAM? Has the hard drive been formatted and an operating system installed? We need more info. Are you trying onboard video and sound or cards?? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back