Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!! Unable to Telnet to machine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalentedFool

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
GB

What are the main reasons why I would not be able to telnet to a Solaris 9 machine? I can ping the machine, I can FTP to the machine, I can RLOGING and SSH to the machine but when I try to telnet to it - connection refused.

I've rebooted the machine 3 times, made sure that inetd is running still no joy!

Somebody help me!! ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Are you trying to do this as root. If so, it may be that you have an uncommented CONSOLE= line in /etc/default/login

Comment out the console line and you should be able to telnet in. Note that this usually isn't recommended, however, better to su to root from another user. HTH.

Hi,

Not trying to telnet in as root. I have found that if I do a 'netstat -an |grep .23' it doesn't come up with anything so it seems that its not listening on port 23.

If that makes sense? Any ideas on how I can resolve that?

(Super fast repsonse as well - thanks) ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Is the telnet line in /etc/services commented out? You could also try a keyword search in this forum for previous telnet questions which might have the answer you need. Cheers.

Hi Ken,

Checked the Services - not commented out and have done a search on the forum already.

Thanks for the pointers anyway ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Sorry about that - did you look at thread60-426225

A few more ideas in there, hopefully. Good luck.

Annihilannic,

What should I be looking for in inetd.conf?

There's a line in there for telnet that says... hang on, let me cut and past it...

# TELNETD - telnet server daemon
telnet dgram udp6 wait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd

Is that what you were hoping for?

in.telnetd doesn't appear to be running on the machine! :-( ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Hi,

Telnet won't be running on the machine, since it's the inetd that starts it on your behalf. If you have physical access to the machine try a telnet to itself from the console. Have top running to see if telnet is spawned. If it's not the you'll need to check your config files.

HTH

--
William
William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

It might also be an idea to stop inetd and run it in a separate console session with the -d switch to watch the debugging messages. Maybe it's having trouble spawning or locating in.telnetd?

The line in /etc/inetd.conf looks different to what I'm used to, but I don't have a Solaris 9 system set up to confirm. Under Solaris 8 it usually looks like this:

[tt]telnet stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd[/tt] Annihilannic.

Hi William

I've tried the telnet to the localhost and it gets refused!

The config files are OK - I'm seriously at a loss on this one! The machine was working fine, we re-booted and bang - no telnet! :-(

Call to sun me thinks! ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Is it possible that telnet in this case is trying to use datagram protocol rather than tcp/ip? Suggest you comment out your version and paste Annihillanic's, then stop and restart inetd to see if this makes a difference. HTH.

Ken, Annihilannic ,

Thanks for your help guys!! I replaced the line from inetd.conf with the v8 version and it's worked!

So for you help, you receive a star and head to the top of the class! :)

Cheers guys! Much appreciated!

Lee ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Hi,

I have the same entry as Annihilannic in my /etc/inetd.conf file, and I'm running v9, but since its fixed, its all academic I guess.

--
William
William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

Thanks for the input though William! It's all appreciated! ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Glad to help - just hope that nothing else is affected by the change. Cheers.

Sorry, but what do u mean about you changed the line from inetd.conf with the v8 version??

I have the same problem..
When I telnet to the server it prints this message:ld.so.1:

login: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: Too many open files
Connection closed by foreign host.

Is a solaris 7 server..
Thank's in advance.. and Help me please! :)

Check ur /usr/bin/login file. This is bright possibility that the file might have replaced with wrong file. If you have another sun server then cross check with that the version and no. of bytes of the login file. version information you can get with /usr/ccs/bin/what. I had faced similar problem. I replaced the login file from another similar server and it worked. If you do not have similar server then you can get that from CD.

Regards,
Rahul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back