Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help to telnet unix server

Status
Not open for further replies.

1inNetworking

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
IN

Pls help me in solving a problem. We have 2 networks connected thru router. We are able to ping all pcs across the networks except sco unix 5.0 server. We want to telnet the unix server to access the database. I have added the router's address as gateway in /etc/default/tcp file. Your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Sounds like a problem with your network configurations on the SCO box. You need to post the details like what network card you are using, what protocols are installed, and what you are able to access from the SCO box itself.

Defining a gateway on the SCO box won't do anything if its network access is not working.

I have a similar setup on my server as you are trying to use. My nic is a 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI (3C905B). I have SCO TCP/IP NFS Runtime and TPI NetBIOS for TCP/IP installed using Ethernet II. I have about 50 users who routinely telnet to the server for database access without problems.

Is the default route/gateway listed when you do a netstat -rn? Annihilannic.

Just finished adding our Unix box to a Windows 2000 network for same reason as you. Long hard battle with similiar problem. What worked: /etc/hosts includes only entries 127.0.0.1 and IP of unix box. Added IP of DNS server (NOTE: NOT the gateway hub) to /etc/resolv.conf and everything worked great. Our server for network was set as DNS server and we are using dynamic IPs for the PCs hooked to network.

Thank you all for your response. It worked after giving command route add ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back