Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help to Start EMC-ECC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishverma2k

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
US
have never worked on EMC & ECC. I need to figure out how to use ECC 4.2 running on Sun OS directly attached to Symmetrix 3700, having fiber channel connectiivty to 6 HP Unix Servers.
The site has Symmetrix base component. How do i start this on this Sun box to get to see the configuration of EMC & its distribution of disks for HP Servers.

I have root access to this SUN server. This site also has Sybase database client.
I need to figure out details on my own. I think i have reached the right person for help.

Do you have ECC installed in the SUN system?
Are you familiarized with Symmetrix architecture?

In order to start Symmetrix Manager issue "osmgui" as root.

Is Symmetrix manager configured? it means the gatekeeper is set on Symm Manager.

Cheers.

ECC is installed on one of the HP UNIX box. I could manage to start symmConsole today using X-windows access from my desktop. On this HP Server, i did not find any gatekeeper details. I did find one on Sun box.
After getting SymmConsole, i right clicked to start Poll, it did not. let me know what to do next ? Is there any file which will give be details of existing ECC configuration or disk allocation to each server ?
Waiting for more .. |more

first place, you must to specify to ECC how to comunicate with the symm box. To do it, if I remember, there is a configuration option (or propierties) where you tell ECC what gatekeeper to use.

A gatekeeper is a little volume assigned to the server with ECC. A gatekeeper is a LUN of 6 cylinder (aprox. 2.88 MB). Use syminq (or inq) provided with ECC in order to know the /dev/dsk device of the gatekeeper. with this info, go to ECC on propierties and on gatekeeper device enter the /dev/dsk device found with inq. (to use inq or syminq just issue ./inq or ./syminq on the folder where is located the file).

If no gatekeeper are found, ask to your provider (EMC may be?) to assign at least 2 gatekeepers. Mount of gatekeeper depends on features enabled (TimeFinder, SRDF, etc.)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back