Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help to make Clipper program work in XP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Controlfrk

Technical User
Apr 16, 2007
US
I have a working clipper program written for my business and no longer supported. I have source code and have an interest in making this work in Windows XP. I am not a programmer but know the fundamentals of working in a Dos shell. Any help to get this working on an XP computer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

There are not problems to run a Clipper EXE in XP environment. I do so every day. The only thing you have to do is to edit the CONFIG.NT in directory /Windows/system32 to add/change the line FILES=.. to FILES=120.

Other properties (to run app in fullscreen or window mode, fontsize etc.) you have to configurate in the link launching your app.

Because of the way my CLipper app was compiled, I also need to add a system variable, CLIPPER = F120 ( or Fnn , where nn is the number of FILES you need to open )

Opticalman

In the same folder as config.nt is a file named autoexec.nt.

Put:

Set clipper=F120

at the bottom of that file.

If you're able, you can recompile your application and burn that variable into the application by putting:

blinker executable clipper f120

in the .lnk file. You won't have to worry about autoexec.nt after that.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

If you're able, you can recompile your application and burn that variable into the application by putting:

blinker executable clipper f120

that is true if you compile with BLINKER.
If you use the Clipper supplied compiler, you must add it to an autoexec,bat as stated above, or add it in XP via
MY COMPUTER / PROPERTIES / ADVANCED / ENVIROMENT VARIABLES

opticalman

To set environment variables for Clipper or my own application I use the batchfile launching my app. Advantage is that it has influence only for this app (process):

1. step - release unused variables from memory to gain enough space for my own variables
set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=
set PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=
set PROCESSOR_LEVEL=
set PROCESSOR_REVISION=
set ALLUSERSPROFILE=
2. step - define my own variables
SET CLIPPER=..
SET MYVAR1=...
SET PATH=c:\dos\clipper;%PATH%

I want to thank all who responded. Your combined help was EXACTLY what I needed to bring up the program and all the data for the first time in 5 years. You have been a great source. If I could ask a couple more favors

I would merely ask if anyone knows how to make it full screen and how I might use the printers on my system rather than the Epson MX-80 it was originally set up for. Thanks in advance for ALL the help..it is greatly appreciated.

Fullscreen: just press Alt+Enter while running your app to switch between fullscreen x window mode.
You can set it up also by right-clicking small icon on left of title bar of your app and setting properties there.

>... how I might use the printers on my system rather than the Epson MX-80 it was originally set up for....<

How is the printer controlled by your application, does it send stored 'ESC' sequences to it, is there any configuration or setup module included ?

Not sure how to tell.....

Here is the source code for one of the report programs thanks in advance for your assistance:

Store Date() To mBDate, mEDate
Do DateRange
*Clear
*@ 3,27 SAY "<Esc> To Exit"
*@ 0,0 Say Time()+Space(60)+DTOC(Date())
*@ 12,30 Say 'From Date :' Get mBDate Picture '@D'
*@ 14,32 Say 'To Date :' Get mEDate Picture '@D'
*Read
If LastKey() = 27
Return
EndIf
mFlag = Space(1)
Select 1
Set Order To 3
Set SoftSeek On
Seek DToS(mBDate)
Set SoftSeek Off
Do While Prnt_Err()
If LastKey() = 27
Return
EndIf
EndDo
Do PrintMsg
Set Device To Printer
Do RepRptHdr
Do While CALL_DATE <= mEDate .And. .NOT. Eof() .And. InKey() <> 27
If .Not. Empty(REP_DESC)
Skip
Loop
EndIf
mFlag = 'Y'
If PRow() = 60
Eject
Do RepRptHdr
EndIf
@ PRow()+1,1 Say Transform(CUS_HOMEPH,'@R (999) 999-9999')+Str(LOC,9)+;
Str(CALL_NO,9)+Space(4)+DTOC(CALL_DATE)+Space(4)+;
APPTYPE+Space(6)+TECH
* @ PRow()+1,1 Say CUS_HOMEPH Picture '@R (999) 999-9999'
* @ PRow(),21 Say Str(LOC,3)+Str(CALL_NO,9)+Space(4)+;
* DTOC(CALL_DATE)+Space(4)+APPTYPE+Space(6)+TECH
Skip
EndDo
If mFlag = Space(1)
If InKey() = 27
@ PRow()+5,50 Say 'User Interrupted... Report Aborted'
Else
@ PRow()+5,5 Say 'No Calls From '+DTOC(mBDate)+' To '+DTOC(mEDate)+;
' WithOut Repair Descriptions'
EndIf
EndIf
Eject
Set Device To Screen
Return

Procedure RepRptHdr
@ PRow(),19 Say 'REPORT OF CALLS WITH NO REPAIR DESCRIPTION'
@ PRow()+2,1 Say 'PHONE NUMBER'+Space(7)+'LOC#'+Space(4)+'CALL#'+;
Space(3)+'CALL DATE'+Space(4)+'APPL'+Space(5)+'TECH'
*PHONE NUMBER LOC# CALL# CALL DATE APPL TECH
*(603) 668-6542 1 1 01/01/01 REF1 DD
@ Prow()+1,1 Say Replicate('-',78)
Return

ContrlFrk

This might be better addressed in a seperate thread.

Here's my 2 cents.

If it is a local printer, make sure it is attached to LPT1

if is a network printer , I redirect lpt1 with a NET USE command at the command prompt, similar to

NET USE LPT1 \\MyNetComputer\SharedPrinterName

Jim Rumbaugh

Thanks Opticalman, This printer is a network USB Printer.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll be starting a new thread looking for someone to add to this program now that I at least have it up and running sans printer. Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back