Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help to log into Linux Server 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch2008

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2008
US
I am recovering a IBM eserver x232 with Linux 7.3 installed. After fixing the hd PCB and repairing the file system, I cannot log in. The error: No more sessions available for [user]. You are being logged out. I am new on Linux and any ideas are appreciated.
Mitch

Linux 7.3 being what distro exactly??

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks for your question. Since I cannot log in, I cannot find out the distro. Based on the CD came with the machine, it is IBM ADP's UX800 including Redhat Linux 7.1 (not 7.3-my bad). I did not use the machine before the crashing. It might have gui since there is error message pup up many times: "INIT: ID "S0" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes".
Any suggestions please?

The problem is nobody remembers the root password

Then your problem is different from the originally stated one. Password recovery may be in order.

Yes, you are right, iggsterman. I removed the root password and I can log in using root. The new error is "no screens found" when I run startx. Seems more files damaged.

Bacakup home directory & re-install may be the fastest way to a reliable system.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back