Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help to identify what kind of RAM I need

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturnia

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
Here's the stats. eMachine model W1640, 1600+ AMD Athlon XP Processor, 128mb DDR, 3D S3ProSavage8, 10/100mbps Ethernet, 56K Fax Modem v. 92 ready PCI, 40GB hard drive Ultra DMA/100. Windows XP Home edition. That's everything that is listed on the specs paper here. I want to purchase 256 - 512 of RAM. What type of ram do I search for? I've seen SDr- something or other, DDR, and a few other misc. terms. Anyone know what the specific term for the kind of RAM I need for this thing? All replies much appreciated. Thanks a mil.

Here is a link to the best place I have found to figure out your question.

Use the memory Upgrade Section and it will tell you exactly what you need, how much your system is rated for and prices for the Ram that you need.

Good Luck on the Upgrade

Just went there, and they don't have this particular model listed to choose from. It's the newest machine I think eMachines puts out from a new group they just came out with. Thanks anyways. ^_^

That is a bummer, you just need to make sure that you get DDR Chips. SDRAM is incompatilbe with DDR. Email the Crucial people if you can and see what you can come up with. Or better yet try eMachines.

Also try Belarc Advisor. Here is the link on the crucial page.

Ok, here is what I did, I went to the site and clicked on Help in the upper right corner, then on Ram Support then on Chat under Talk to an expert online, I got as far as them asking me if it was an eTower, or an eMonster, but I couldn't tell them anymore. It is pretty easy, it is a live chat.

By default your PC should be running PC2100, if you need more specifics about it, then you should pull the ram out and look at the markings on it. If you plan on doing the ram upgrade yourself, then you should be comfortable enought to pull the ram out to look at it. You will see things on it like "PC2100 DDR SDRAM" and also look for the letters "CL" followed by either "2.0" 2.5" or "3.0" this is the clock speed of your ram, it is more important to match this number than by brand. If you are currently running "3.0" and get "2.0" you may have a problem, as I have seen DDR get real real picky in boards. Most of the newer MB's (even the cheap ECS) boards that only have 2 DIMM slots have the ability to take at least 1.0GB of ram, so if you are looking at a 256 upgrade you should have no problem at all.
There are several PC's on Emachines web site that have a 1600+, but they all list 256 of ram, but all of them have PC2100.

Mat

as easy as pulling out a chip, eh? ^_^ I suppose I can handle that. Thanks for your help guys. Most appreciated. Was thinking about 512 instead. Think that would speed things up a bit? :)

Nucome, emachines have been picky no matter what you throw in them! LoL

Noct, I would take for granted that you probably have 2.5 PC2100 DDR modules in your mobo. 333mhz fsb is the 2700 modules.

Unless emachine decided to incorporate the Rambus DDR module [noted by its fancy blue casing around over the modules but not likely due to the cost increase and E-machine is for E-conomy =]

- Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back