Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - synch Access database that are not replicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce007

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
I am using VB6 and Access 2000. Due to network times I have to have a replicated Access database at the other two sites. Replication adds a lot to the size of the database. Is there a way to combine changes at the different sites the way that replication does? I am hoping that I can get away from replication. I am looking for some code that will do what I want. If that means adding another table to the databases to hold the changes then so be it.

Since you mentioned Access 2000, are you sure that you are using VB6 code and not VBA (Visual Basic For Applications) code?

If you are using VBA, here is their forum:
forum707

Another forum that maybe useful is Access Modules (VBA Coding):
forum705

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

I am using Access 200 as the database and VB6 as the application language that access the database.
The links you provided are for general Access and for VBA not for what I want. I have tried looking the web for my answer but I have come up with nothing.

Database replication is a very complicated thing to implement. The only reason I might try to write my own is if there is only a very small subset of data that needs to be kept in sync, and the conflict resolution rules were very simple (e.g. last update automatically "wins").

Thanks.
I am finding it complicated also. I have a combination of delete, add, update, and SQL statements. I am not sure how to handle them.
They can happen at any of the three sites.
I was thinking about creating a change table that will indicate the type of change, table, record id, and SQL statement. Then downloading this table from the different sites to mine and using the lastest date and time as the winner. The problem arises when one site does an SQL and another site does an update to the same record.
I will keep looking for some code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back