Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! STrange crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman62788

Programmer
Jun 5, 2004
US
MY PC CRASHES. This is very annoying. A while back I had a pc crash when i played a computer game. the first crash would be 30 minutes into game...the next would be almost immediate if i were to reboot the pc and play again. This was last year. so i removed a ram stick(had 2) and it worked...no crashes for a long time. then few months ago i started getting one here or there...then more and more...and then more...now it even crashes when im on my desktop or something. the crash is something like...the pc sounding like there was a power outage where it looks and sounds like it cut off...but then after the monitor is black, it restores itself to the last image i saw before the crash and its frozen.

So i bought another ram stick...and now it crashes still, and when it crashes this time, i see a blur of colors and static with the last image i saw(like a website i was on right before the crash). Its annoying. I spent 80 dollars on this ram. So i changed ram slots, no help. I have 3 ram slots, one slot is messed up.

The idiots at HP built the floppy disk drive RIGHT over it...i have to push the thing up real hard to slide the ram stick in the third slot only to find the slot is messed up(the divider is not positioned right so the little black piece that goes into the cut in the ram stick its a little off the side so the ram stick doesnt fit in without a lot of force and then just beeps when u turn the pc on). So I don't know what to do.

I do have a worm on my pc, had it for a while. It infects all my .exe and .scr files. It doesnt do much...it was quiet for a while until i use a virus scaner(housecall.trendmicro.com) and when it cleaned the files, it corrupted all my .exes and made backups so i had to rename the backups back to the .exe and delete the corrupt ones. But now, i cant run some exes because they seem to get reinfected after use. Like for instance, i play a pc game called mafia. If i double click now, it wont run. so i have to go to disk 2 of the game and copy the game.exe and put it in the folder of mafia and replace the old one. And if i dont play it for a while, it becomes infected again anbd doesnt run. This worm is called pate.b.worm. I can't seem to get rid of it. Its probably in my system restore and the morons at hp didnt give me a restore disk so I cant get rid of it...i cant even make backups of my registry on hp. But i don't think the virus is causing this crash because the problem was fixed for a while when i removed that one ram stick.

oh yeah, i have xp home edition, 32 mb video card on board graphics. 1.67 ghz

Personally, I don't think I'ld discount the worm. I'ld get rid of it before replacing ram.

try if you could borrow memory sticks and try it in your pc.

you should try removing first viruses and worms in your pc, it might be the cause but i doubt it. At least we could eliminate some factors that leads to your "strange crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back