Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP: Stored Procs times out infrequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickspace

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
US
Hello everyone, I have a particular table that is the heart of our applications. As a result most of the select statements, stored procedures and views involve this table. We have indexed it adequately. All the procs on this table seem to be running fine except for a Delete procedure that deletes one line from the table (we pass the ID to this proc). This procedure times out even when I set the time-out interval to 10 minutes. Is there anything special I can do to fix this (re-index, remove index, etc.)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Do you have a delete trigger onthe table? Possibly this is what is casuing it to time out.

Other than that you need to post the stored proc for us to help you see if it needs to be changed

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

Hi SQLSis,

There are no triggers on this table. Here is the syntax of the proc, if that helps:

DELETE FROM dbo.[PAGE HISTORY]
WHERE ([Page History ID] = @PHToDelete)

Thanks,
Nick

Here's the output:

DBCC SHOWCONTIG scanning 'PAGE HISTORY' table...
Table: 'PAGE HISTORY' (330484256); index ID: 0, database ID: 33
TABLE level scan performed.
- Pages Scanned................................: 3011
- Extents Scanned..............................: 382
- Extent Switches..............................: 381
- Avg. Pages per Extent........................: 7.9
- Scan Density [Best Count:Actual Count].......: 98.69% [377:382]
- Extent Scan Fragmentation ...................: 57.07%
- Avg. Bytes Free per Page.....................: 1143.5
- Avg. Page Density (full).....................: 85.87%
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back