Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help sorting pages in a book for printing PM6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrdman

Technical User
Aug 17, 2004
US
i have laid out a 509 page book on pagemaker. the layout is 8.5in tall by 5.5in wide (letterhalf) with facing pages.

i want to print this on a laser printer, first printing one side of each piece of paper, run the whole stack, then turn the stack over and print the other side, so that in the end i can have the stack cut down the middle, compile the pages, and bind it as a book with the pages in the proper order. (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, etc)

i once knew how to set this up for printing on pagemaker, but i forget now!

ideally, i would have page 255 one the left (that is middle of the book) and page 1 on the right. this would be the first page to print. it would go like this:

and so on

after i have printed all the odd pages, i can flip the pages, stick them back in the tray, and print:

then in the end, after cutting the stack down the middle, i would have both halves of the book and could simply put them together and have all the pages in the right order.

the big problem is that i am using auto page numbering and if i start moving pages around, then the page numbers will get totally messed up.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

First you need to run the Build Booklet plug-in. You will need to have a total page number divisible by 4, which 509 is not. You will have to add three blank pages in appropriate places. Presumably you want to print this on letter-size paper? If so, choose 2-up saddle stitch. You will also need to consider creep, as with this large number of pages, there will undoubtably be some.

The BB function will result a new document (with half the number of (letter-size) pages as the original, but with the pages correctly numbered but nowin printing order. You will be able to run the odd pages of the BB doc through the printer, turn them over (and depending on the printer, you may also need to turn the pages, so do some tests first), then run the even numbered pages through.

Just a word of advice. PM doesn't like handling such large documents. It would be better to divide it up into a number of smaller docs, and then use the Book feature (different to the Build Booklet feature) prior to printing. However, I'm not sure if the BB plug-in can be run after 'booking'. But if you were super-organised, you could also print the book in sections, each one a 'mini-booklet', so creep wouldn't be a problem. Each saddle-stitched mini-booklet could then be perfect bound into one whole book.

How do you intend binding this book?

hey, thanks for responding! it's going to be perfect bound, so all the pages will be cut in half, stacked, the edge will be rough cut and it will be hot glued to a cover. i'm going to try your techniques and report back!
josh

you're the man! i had to reduce to sections of 260 pages each, then go with bb plugin and 2up perfect bound, but it works. thanks a million, you don't know how valuable your help was!

if you ever need hydroponics, i own and will give u a deal on anything you want.

peace out
josh

John

I didn't want to spoil his day, so didn't respond. :)

hey, another q! the build booklet plugin worked at first, now for some reason it gives me error 7223 and won't do it.

also i am wondering, say i have broken this book up into two booklets. i try starting the page numbers of the second booklet at 261 (where it should be) and that's when i started having problems. now it won't work even if i make it 1.

the only other thing i changed is i reorganized my pc, and all the files (except for program files). so is it possible pagemaker is calling on a file that has moved? i even tried reinstalling pm with no luck.

any ideas are appreciated.

josh

shoot never mind! i figured it out. i had forgotten this time around to switch off double-sided and facing pages before using the bb plugin. got it now

josh

Glad you got it sorted out - before I even read the earlier post too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back