Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Sorting a Union Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomh1

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm trying to create a query for a drop-down list. The selection in the drop-down is used to filter a report or form, and I'd like to have a wildcard value, "(All)", included in the list.

I can do that much; my SQL looks like
Code:
SELECT  [Table Employee List].FullName FROM [Table Employee List] UNION SELECT "(All)" FROM [Table Employee List];

However, the result is not sorted in any human-intelligable fashion. What I'd really like to do is take two additional fields, [Table Employee List].LastName and [Table Employee List].FirstName, and sort the list by [LastName], then [FirstName], with "(All)" appearing at the top of the list.

Thank you for your help,

Tom

Something like this ?
SELECT FullName, LastName, FirstName
FROM [Table Employee List]
UNION
SELECT "(All)", " ", " "
ORDER BY 2,3;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

That turns out pretty good, but it still sorts on FullName; not LastName or FirstName.

- Tom

Even with the ORDER BY 2,3 clause ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Try putting the Order by with the first Select:

Code:
SELECT FullName, LastName, FirstName
ORDER BY 2,3 
UNION
SELECT "(All)", " ", " "

I am pretty sure that the first select dictates the Sort order and subsequent ORDER BYs are ignored. PHV, do you agree or maybe you can adjust as needed.

[COLOR=006633]Bob Scriver[/color]
MIState1.gif
[COLOR=white 006633]MSU Spartan[/color]

I just tested my suggestion and it may not be correct. Seems to work at the end as PHV has posted.

[COLOR=006633]Bob Scriver[/color]
MIState1.gif
[COLOR=white 006633]MSU Spartan[/color]

Yes, and no.

It wasn't working; now it is.

Maybe I needed to save the query or something to get it to recognize the new sort order.

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back