Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help .... Smtp relaying to my provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

phenomena

Programmer
May 6, 2004
FR
Due to Anti-Sapm POlicy..Some company like aol.fr reject email coming from independant smtp server like mine (exchange 2000)

So i'm trying to find a solution that permit my exchange server to send all outgoing email to be relayed thru my smtp provider in order to be accepted by these restrictive networks !

Acually all outgoing email is sended by my smtp server.

Someone can please help me ?

Thanks

It isn't the fact that you are an independant smpt server - it is the fact that your IP address has been blacklisted.

Speak to your ISP and get them to get it removed from the lists.

I had this problem recently - hotmail and aol where refusing email from an organisation I was doing some work for. It turned out that their internet connection was via cable - and was not meant for commercial use - and thus the ISP had blacklisted their IP for them.

The ISP wanted a big heap of money to change the same service to a commercial agreement - so I moved the company to adsl via Zen - and now all is well.

M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

Yes my server is blacklisted but not on all list that exist..
and it is quoit difficult today to find a server that is not blacklisted !!

But this is not changing my problem !
I want to relay my outgoing mail to the smtp of my provider !

For example if send an email thru outlook express using the smtp adress of my provider insted of my server, my email gone without problem and is received on aol !!!

<<quoit difficult today to find a server that is not blacklisted >>

I would dispute that - if you find yourself on a blacklist - contact the owner of the list and have yourself removed.

<<For example if send an email thru outlook express using the smtp adress of my provider insted of my server, my email gone without problem and is received on aol >>

Yes - that is because your IP address is blacklisted. Is it possible that your IP address is marked as residential? Or - also, AOL do perform rDNS on incoming emails - in which case is your domain name registered correctly and setup correctly on your exchange server? You do have a static IP address don't you?

As to relaying your smtp mail out through another smtp server - I think you will need some 3rd party s/w as your exchange server is essentially an smtp server.

You could do something clever in the DNS such that all sites resolve to your ISPs SMTP server - but then your internet access would be up the swany - and also you would then need to authenticate on your ISPs smtp server.

Not looking easy.

M

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

<<quoit difficult today to find a server that is not blacklisted >>

I would dispute that - if you find yourself on a blacklist - contact the owner of the list and have yourself removed.

He is right. There are some lists that you will never be removed from. Thankfully, these lists are not used by the majority of spam-blockers. I've seen lists that I can never be removed from, however these lists are normally people who collect this information as a hobby.

Phenomena,
Have you gone to ? You need to find out why you are blacklisted. Fix the problem instead of trying to relay your e-mail through your ISP.

Post your mail server's IP address. I'll be able to tell you more if I had that.

I just went through the same issue. AOL is now doing a rDNS on all mail servers sending mail to AOL. You can go to and do a revDNS (rDNS) on your mail server's IP address. More info can be found at the following: and and
Good luck
Glenn Dardick
gdardick@dardick.net

Yes, the problem is that your email server doesn't have a reverse DNS entry. If you run your own public DNS server, add a reverse DNS entry for your email server to DNS. If you do not run your own public DNS server, ask your ISP to create a reverse DNS record for your email server. This might just clear up your problem.

Larry

If you still want to forward all your outgoing email through your ISP's SMTP server, Exchange can still do this for you. You will need to edit your default SMTP connector or add a new one. It's pretty straight forward and the built-in help in Exchange manager will give you the information you need to set up the connector.

Good luck,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back