Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!--SGI hard drive on an intel based system

Status
Not open for further replies.

me4achange

Programmer
Dec 9, 2003
DE
Hi,

am new here and after reading through some of the threads it seems likely I´m at the right place to find the someone who has a solution to my problem.

I have been able to get a hold of IBM drives type DGHS COMP IEC-950 that were spares for a SGI maschine. That means older but never used.

I´ve been trying to get these drives running in a normal intel based server--can low level format them using the controller, but when I want to address them in dos I get the message that there is no drive present.

I believe I have a firmware problem that the drives have a special firmware specially set up for SGI maschine but am not certain. SGI and IBM Support have been of no help what so ever.

Can anyone give a newbie a helping hand.

Thanks in advance

hey i think the model you specified is a SCSI drive and you cannot use it on a normal IDE connector.
you need to get a SCSI card for that, call any of your local computer dealers and ask if they have a SCSI card for cheaper .. or if you can get one from the used suff... sure do that..
else try finding one from the SGI guy who gave you that Drive.
SCSI drives have faster data transfer so can't use it on your IDE

Yes the IBM DGHS drives are scsi drives.
D stands for drive
GH is a name
S stands for scsi.

If the last letter is and A then you have an ide drive.

On the drive you will find an number like: 2 digits, 1 character and 4 digits (ie: FRU pn. 59H6926 is a 9.1 GB

Type this number on an ibm search engine and you will get the spec.

Etienne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back