Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help setting up Windows 2003 SBS for Workgroup only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburbank

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2004
US
I could use some help in setting up a Windows 2003 Small Business Server to do workgroup only. I don't need domains, active directory, or anything else. I have tried dcpromo /forceremoval and the server still comes up with SBCore errors and shuts down the server. If you could point in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank you

To the best of my knowledge you cannot install SBS as a workgroup server. Exchange needs AD, which needs DNS which creates a domain. If you only want a workgroup server simply install W2k3 and do not continue the SBS isntall.

An SBS2003 server that is not promoted will SHUT DOWN after 30 min; per MS EULE.

Peter,

I know that it will shut down after 30 min. I was hoping there would be a way around it without having to use either Server 2003 full version or stepping back to Windows 2000. If you know of a way around the EULA issue, please let me know.

Have a friend in the same boat....is it possible to disable the SBCore service?

The EULA does not exist for you to find ways around it. SBS is designed for a very specific purpose, and if your purposes are different, you need to use a different product.

Workgroups are good for networks with 10 or less computers. In that case, you should use an XP Pro or 2000 Pro workstation as the server.

I've been wondering Why would anyone want to do this. It would actually be MORE work to set up and maintain the workgroup than setup an SBS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back