Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Setting up a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrkat

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
US
I have two WinXp machines a switch and a cable modem. I have the two machines and the modem connected to the switch. One machine can use the modem, but not see the other machine. The other machine can't see either.
Prior to installing the modem the two machines were networked through the switch and could see each other. How can I setup the network so both machine can see each other and use the modem?
Thank

Assming that you're getting only 1 IP address from your ISP, you can't set this up the way you describe.

Choice 1: Replace the switch with a router with built in switch

Choice 2: connect the cable modem to 1 pc, then use ICS to share the connection to the existing switch & the other pc. A second Network card will be required and machine 1 will have to be on for machine 2 to connect to the internet.

On Choice 2: What is ICS?
I can connect the modem via USB to one computer than can I run the that pc to the switch and then to the other pc?
(I'm using a switch because I don't have a cross-over cable)

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that's required for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing.

ICS means internet connection sharing and it is a service available on XP. It allows you to share an internet connection through XP software. In it's simplest form you connect the internet to one computer and invoke ICS on that computer. You can connect to another computer using a reverse Cat 5. If you're lucky this will work. Unfortunately, there are a number of variables that ICS doesn't handle well. The whole issue of static and dynamic IP addresses from you DSL or cable provider can be an issue.

You need two NIC's. One to connect to your modem and another to connect the client. Having two NIC's in one computer can cause problems of its own.

smah's choice 1 makes the most sense. The router which by definition connects one network, in this case the internet, with another network, your baby lan, is much more flexible than ICS.

Finally, a NIC costs about 20 bucks, you can get a perfectly good router for about double that. To me it's a no brainer.

I agree. The broadband router would be more reliable and easier to set up. It would eleminate the need to have the ICS computer on when the client wants to use the internet. It is however, a more costly way to go initially.

Thanks guys I'm going to get a router, the reason I go a switch is that what I though we had a work, but the switch runs to a router and then to the modem, so I'll just use that setup.
Now at work I've been told that the router setup a firewall type protection is that correct?

Yes, it is a firewall of sorts. The router will perform NAT (Network Address Translation). Inside the router your computers will have a private ip address. This will be different than the WAN (internet side) IP address. This will prevent unauthorized access to the pc's from outside the network. Keep in mind though, that it does not prevent any information from being sent out, which most software firewalls will.

BTW, you will need to 'uplink' or cross-over between the existing switch and the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back