Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP: Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

compweb

Programmer
Aug 10, 2000
US
Stuck.

Using Access2000 database, w2000, IIS5.

My query won't pull the data and getting the following error:
"The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object."

Several attempts at setting permissions on the database, script, and even the odbcjt32.dll file including full permissions to all three with no change in error message.

What else can it be? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

UPDATE: Same error when simply trying to append text to a text file:
"The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object."

The error is triggered by this line:
"Set fso = server.CreateObject"scripting.filesystemobject")"

What is preventing the server.CreateObject from functioning and how do I fix it?

Please help,
Mitch

make sure the directory which contains the data to be manipulated is read/write by everyone. if that doesnt work then try disabling anonymous access to the page and see if you can login and get the page to execute..

Thanks, but not it. However, I did figure out that if I give internet users priveleges to the system32 directory something starts working but I can't figure out which file(s) specifically need those permissions.

Any leads appreciated, thanks,
Mitch

did you try disabling anonymous access to the virtual directory that contains the script?

Yes, it wouldn't let me see the page or do anything.

Mitch

it should have let you login if you set it up right.

If I set it up right it would work. I'm trying to find out what's not set up right.

Mitch

try this.. right click on your web site in the IIS MMC and go to 'properties' then go to the 'directory security' tab. now you should see 2 'edit' buttons. you want to click the first one. now, in the dialog that shows you need to have the 'Anonymous access' checkbox unchecked & the 'Integrated Windows authentication' checked. leave the rest unchecked and click ok then ok again and close the MMC. now try navigating to your hosted web site in IE and log into your site as Administrator. see if that works..

Thats what I did yesterday, it only shows the error message for no access.

Thanks,
Mitch

ammendment:

the above solution didn't actually solve the problem for me, i had to unregister msvbvm60.dll and re-register it. that seemed to do it..

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back