Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!, server can't join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctjohnson

MIS
Oct 9, 2001
US
We run a mixed mode 2k/NT 4 network. Our only remaining NT 4 server was previously a BDC, and has functioned well as part of the 2k network. Over the weekend, one of our administrators permformed a failed multi-processor upgrade. As a result, he had to reinstall NT on the box. Security information seems to be wrong now, the only way to log on to the machine is using 'administrator' with no password.

Is there any way to rejoin this computer to the domain? When I try to do that now, it says its a domain controller and that it needs to contact other domain controllers. Help!

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great!

When you say reinstall do you mean a fresh install or did he perform a repair or install over top of the old OS?

map the network drive?

He repaired the install, with the proper service packs...

I have had bad experiences repairing an install :) Anyway are you able to ping any of the other domain controllers?

yeah, we can ping the domain controllers, and if you browse the network neighborhood, you can get to other machines by using a username/password from the domain.

Also have you tried removing and readding the machine account in server manager?

I had a similar problem last year, the only way I got round it was to do a fresh install :-( Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

In Server Manager for Domains on the PDC...Add the NT4 Server as a BDC. Then synchronise the Domain.

Try it as epohl said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back