Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!! RRAS/ Cable Modem /Dual Nic Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaran

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2k Server. Which acts a my PDC, DNS, WINS, and DHCP Server.
I have two 3com nics installed on the server. I have a cable modem with a dedicated IP address.
I have setup RRAS with NAT. The server can access the internet just fine. The client can not see the internet. The client can see shares on the server, but it cannot see the internet via the server. The internal side is IP schema 192.168.0.x and the external ip is 65.3.x.x. Please help I have been racking my brain on this one for days. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
Mike Holland

Are your clients pointing to the NAT server as default gateway ?

Can your clients ping the external NIC of your server ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Yes, the clients are recieving their ip, mask, and default gateway settings from the Server. Which brings up a question what should the default gateway be on the server on the internal side? Should it be the the IP address of the external nic?

I haven't tried pinging the external nic..I will try that tonight.

Thanks for the reply....

Mike Holland

Don't set any gateways on your server...
Only the external NIC can contain a gateway, pointing to the router at the ISP...

Try pinging to the external NIC , and when that works, do a tracert to 62.112.0.7 and post the output...
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

i am having the same problem with the same setup. i can ping the external nic but when i try a tracert it times out at the server? what am i overlooking???

are you running any packet filtering / Firewall software ? Are you using IPSec (it should be disabled) ?

Your clients are the only computers that should have a gateway .
The server should only have a gateway set on the external NIC

Can you do a tracert from your server to 62.112.0.7 ?
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

A couple of suggestions:

Ensure that ip forwarding is enabled. (HKLM:LM\System\CCSServices\TCP/IP\Parameters\IP enabled router 0x1)

Routing table: ensure that the 0.0.0.0. network points to external card.

Ensure that the external card does not have dynamic DNS enabled.

I would say the IP forwarding has to be disabled. When you use NAT, this is proxy-like setup and it requires IP routing to be off (at least that is how it is setup using MS Proxy server).

Try doing this,

disconnect both NICs from there network, Bring up the Network that the Internet is on, and then bring up the second NIC. I have had the same issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back