Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help. rename as400 printer/emulator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schne10134

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
hello, i have just moved a printer off of the LAN and connected it directly to a users PC, i want her to be able to print as easly as possible to her local printer. I added the local computer through the emulation program.

two questions
1) the printer is named an abusurdly long name like qvebde000q - can i rename the printer to like "print"??
2) if i use emulation to use this printer does there have to be 2 as400 windows open? open seems to be running the print service and the other is the log-on window.

Thanks anyone very much. I am very new to AS400 and do not know much. ANY advice is much appreciated.

chris

Hi Chris,

You're on the right track. Do WRKCFGSTS *DEV and vary the device off, then select option 8 (Work with Description), then option 7 is Rename.

To use the printer from your PC or any PC on your network, you must have a printer emulation window open on the PC to which the printer is attached.

Good Luck

Alan

Alan helped a BUNCH! so easy, yet i was not able to find that on my own. many thanks.

chris

Hi,
usually when you want to configure a printer session from Client Access you define it as a printer. Then there is an option where you can specify workstation ID. There you can define device name for that printer.

Hello Chris,
FYI... just in case. If you have an older computer setting around and a Network, you can setup several sessions on an older computer that you have setup network printers on. Then, have the users send their jobs to these printers / outq's. This will eliviat the issue of each person having a local printer on their computer.

- Regards, iSeries Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back