Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help removing extra white space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshep

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
GB
Hello all,

I have been updating my site, adding css etc(finally!)and a test index page is up. All seems ok apart from a large amount of white space below the flash "click here for updated schedule". I am sure there is a simple reson for this but I am being thick today and cant work it out.

Link -
Many thanks,

Red

Hey Red,
I had a chance to look at your site.
I pulled your source code and inserted it in dreamweaver.
Everything looked fine, then I realized I didn't have your css file. So I grabbed it and that seems to be the problem. Unfortunately I don't see anything obvious that is causing it. Although it could have something to do with your tables.

Have you looked at your site through Netscape ??
I fired up my 4.78 version. You 've got some problems with tables being stretched. This could have something to do with your white space also.

The main problem is you cannot have nested table larger than the outside table.

Your outside table width is 707px and the first nested table is 721px.
I would suggest the outside table to be anywhere between 725px and 780px. And anything inside a smaller width.
I would probably suggest to add a couple more nested tables just to organize a little better.
The other possibility is rowspan. Adding a few tables will fix that.

Hello fxcolin,

Thanks for having a look! I didnt see that with the nested table being larger, ooops! Have also fixed most of the problems in Netscape. When I designed it (first site) I was not really aware of Netscape or how to design properly, now that I am the second site I am doing is compatible from the start!

I have added some more nested tables - is that so things dont move about?

With the rowspan I am not sure what to do - I have only been using dreamweaver for a few months and I am not always sure what it is doing when it writes code. I have tried adding in some more tables and table cells in but the rowspan is still there. Deleting the code obviously makes ths page go mad! What code should be there instead?

Many thanks once again,

Red

Hey Red,

Okay you're in a bit of luck!
I had a little free time and played a bit with your page.
You can have a look on my server Just copy the source code.
Obviously I didn't have your images so I just virtually linked most of them to your server.

As for the white space, I think it boiled down to the height of your table cells. they were pushing the rest of the page down.

If you have any questions or Let me know what you think.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back