Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP "No Shell" appears after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

slymac

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
CA
When anyone on my network tries to login they the following:

login: xxx
Password: xxxxxx
Please wait...checking for disk quotas
No shell
Connection closed by foreign host.

Any help at all would be very appreciated!

If you are able to login as root, can you check in /etc/passwd which shell the users should be opening. Is it possible that either:

a) The shell in question has been accidentally or deliberately deleted.

b) That the shell included in /etc/passwd is non-existant.

What flavour of unix are we taking about - this would give an idea of the steps to be taken to recover. Cheers.

Thanks... I'm using HP-UX v10, the /etc/passwd file is there and everyone uses /usr/bin/sh

I looked for /etc/bin/sh and it isn't there. Could it be as simple as recovering it from a backup? I tried to get into sam and it wouldn't let me..

script interpreter "/usr/bin/sh" not found
sh: sam: not found.

Root doesn't use this though I think? I think root uses /sbin/sh in HP-UX.

Try running /usr/bin/sh and seeing if you can find it. It sounds like it's not there or it's not set to be executeable.

We posted at the same time!

You could just set them to use the same as root for the time being or you could go to the HP web site and look for a download.

Is it ok for me to copy /sbin/sh to /usr/bin/sh???
I just did it and it works... are there any differences between the two files??

Thanks

Yes, I think it has more functionality that is normally only open to the super users but you can donwload more shells from:

But it doesn't have the one you were using before. Try contacting HP for that or look for someone on here with HP 10.XX who can send you a copy, I'm on 11.00 I'm afraid.

How did the shell go missing, do you know?

I noticed in you're previous E-Mail you said you looked in /etc/bin did you mean /usr/bin or did you look in the wrong place? It's a bit strange for it to just go missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back