Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!! Proxy settings problem through Group Policy - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyT

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
GB
I am trying to untick the "do not use proxy server for local (intranet) addresses" field within the Proxy settings part of the User Configuartion with the GP. For some reason, this appears to have changed, and when I untick it, and go back in, its still ticked.

This is causing real problems, as colleagues cannot access webpages. I can reset on a client basis, but do not understand why the changes are not saving.

I appear to have permissions etc, and I have tried creating a new policy, but the same thing happens with that!!

Thanks in advance!!

Your not insane. Yes the proxy settings should be removed, UNLESS you are using preference mode IE maintenance policies then they may not reset.

The Internet Explorer Maintenance portion of the Group Policy (User Configuration, Windows Settings) has a hidden option. To access this option, perform the following steps:

Open the Group Policy you want to modify.
Expand User Configuration, Windows Settings.
Right-click Internet Explorer Maintenance.
Select Preference Mode from the context menu.
The system will add a new Advanced branch with two groups, Corporate and Internet Settings. Double-click one of them.
The system will open a dialog box with various settings that you can change as desired. (The Advanced settings option under the Internet Settings is very useful.)

If you want to remove the Advanced object, you must select Reset Browser Settings, which loses all your other settings but removes the Advanced object. Likewise, if a Group Policy is already applied, you need to reset it and then enable the Preference mode.

FRCP

I tried doing a reset, but the "do not use proxy server for local (intranet) addresses" is still ticked. No matter what I try and do, every time I go back into the GP, its ticked.

Thanks again..

have you got automatic detect settings ticked in the gp?

I have checked the Internet Explorer Maintenance area section of the GP, and it is not checked. I am not quite sure what else to try...

I should have added this before probably, but I upgraded the server from 2000 to 2003, a few days ago. All seemed fine, with no errors. AD was replicating as it should, so I presume its not that. The reason for this was to take advantage of Sharepoint Services, which I installed.

I have just checked event viewer, and it seems that the user TSInternetUser cannot be found, and is causing the following error:

Error 0x534 occurs when a user account in one or more Group Policy objects (GPOs) could not be resolved to a SID. This error is possibly caused by a mistyped or deleted user account referenced in either the User Rights or Restricted Groups branch of a GPO.

Anyway, could be a red herring, as I am a little lost with this one..

Anyway assistance gratefully recieved...

Try ticking automatic detect settings .. Is your dns working correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back