Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Problem with exporting pdm to pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAcolyte

Technical User
Apr 4, 2003
US
I am new to this list and have joined it due to a problem that I am experiencing on both my work and home computers which have Windows XP.

On both computers I have recently used the export as PDF tool in Pagemaker (in versions 5.0 and 7.0) and it worked just fine in every case.

However, at the end of the last week (I believe after having received Microsoft updates for Windows XP; you know, the automatic ones), the PDF export function will not work.

The exporting function via Adobe Distiller begins well, but after running a few processes a Windows error message appears saying that it (Windows) cannot perform the Adobe Pagemaker function and then asks if you want to send an error report (which for once I did).

Anyone have any idea what's wrong and how to fix it? Otherwise, I am unable to complete certain projects for the moment.

Thanks.

Louis J. Tofari

Have you tried the two-step process of creating the PDF? That is, go to File>Print and choose the Acrobat Distiller as the printer, and make sure you also choose the Acrobat Distiller PPD. This will generate a postscript file. Then launch Distiller and open the postscript file and tell it to create the PDF. Alternatively, if you choose Distiller as your printer, and don't click the 'print to file' option, it will automatically create the PDF. Just make sure that ypour job settings are correct under the Distiller Proprties first.

Eggles:

Thanks much for the advice and my apologies that I have not responded sooner, but I have been away for some time.

At work, I am using Pagemaker 6.5, while at home I have 7.0. I am at work now and am having trouble finding how to choose Acrobat Distiller as the printer; do you mean perhaps choosing a post-script printer?

Thanks.

The Acolyte

Firstly, I don't think PM6.5 is certified to run on XP - so that may explain some of your problems.

If you go to the dropdown menu under Printers, is Distiller one of the alternatives? If not, then you will need to add it to your system. V3 or V4 came on the CD with PM6.5 - have a look as you may not have installed it. Or choose any postscript printer if you don't have Distiller. You must also select the PPD to go with Distiller, and it must go in the correct folder (PM is very fussy about this). It should go in C:\Adobe\PM65\RSRC\UKENGLSH\PPD4 (assuming you are using English as your language and assuming Adobe apps are in the root directory not under Program Files).

Here's a good FAQ (#1.1) on the Pagemaker Windows Adobe User to user forum (start here: for creating PDFs.

This is a direct link to the FAQ:

BTW, the executable file for Distiller is acrodist.exe. Because I have two different versions of Distiller on my computer (V3 is fantastic for compression of greyscale pics) I also found a PPD (C:\Adobe\ADOBE\ADOBE\Adistill.ppd) under C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\RSRC\UKENGLSH\ppd4 (this one is for V5 of Distiller) - the other one in the previous post must be for V3.

I hope I haven't confused you too much. To summarise, you need to find (on your HD under one of the Adobe folders) the exe file for Distiller. Do a search for acrodist.exe. Then you need to find the PPD and put it in the correct folder (copy and paste from wherever you find it). If you can't find any of the files, go back to your installation CD for Pagemaker and it will be there.

And check out the Adobe U2U forums under Pagemaker for the FAQs - there's a wealth of experience there (and here).

POst back if you have more questions.

Oh, and for the link to the FAQs two posts back, copy and paste the whole string (not just the highlighted part) into the address window of your browser.

Eggles,

Just wanted to let you know that I have printed out your various bits of advice and will trying them out this afternoon.

Eggles,

Okay, I have been reading through your posts and I am a little lost.

First: what is a PPD file? Stupid question perhaps, but I am not exactly a techie.

Second: On both computers (mine at work that has Windows XP with Pagemaker 6.5 and Distiller 4.0; and mine at home that has Windows XP with Pagemaker 7.0 and whatever Distiller came with it) I have the same PDF exporting problem.

Also in both cases, I had installed the drivers for a PostScript printer and the PDF exporting function was working just fine until a particular date (after receiving a Windows Update), when both computers developed the same problem. So, while I would be prone to agree that the problem on my work computer might be XP related, this certainly cannot be the problem at home (nor does it explain that it was working at work after installing XP). Any ideas?

Third: Regarding the file: C:\Adobe\PM65\UKENGLSH..., since I am an American, would this last folder be a different name such as USAENGLISH, etc.?

Thanks again.

Louis

John

Thanks for stepping in to help.

TheAcolyte

If John's tutorial doesn't clear everything up for you, come back and ask more questions. But it really is excellent (and even comes with screenshots!)

PPDs are PostScript Printer Description files that PostScript printer drivers use to print to PostScript devices in all versions of Microsoft Windows. Without the PPD in the right place, Pagemaker doesn't know how to print to a postscript printer. And as far as I know, even if you are American, you still speak English, right? So even though I am Australian and BigJohnD is English (or is that British or Welsh, John?) the directory structure with PM will be the same for you.

It really sounds as though that Windows XP update is the cause of your problems, and that rings a bell somewhere in that I am sure I have heard someone else mention it. I will go searching (I visit quite a few forums, so bear with me). But follow John's tutorial and you should be right.

Hi, Lyn,

Thanks for your kind words. I have never had any problems with PM's Export… AdobePDF… over the years, and I've installed it on many PCs in that time. You just need to bear in mind it uses Adobe's postscript printer driver, which has a difference frame of reference from MSOffice/PCL.

> English (or is that British or Welsh, John?)

I'm Welsh though English is my first language (my Dad married an English foreigner). More accurately, I probably speak Scouse, sounding more like one of The Beatles. And yes, I've got my ticket to see Macca in Liverpool on 1st June too! ( )

> Windows XP update is the cause of your problems

Yes, there was a thread in AdobeForums (InDesign?) slagging it off, though I don't know how much substance there was. I have no desire to move to WinXP, and find Win2K extremely stable.

Iechyd da! John
20:01 16/05/2003 BST

Oh wow! Knowledgable about Pagemaker and a fan of the Beatles too! (Paul was always my favourite). I have all their early LPs (for those of you too young to know, these are Long Playing records - the equivalent of today's CD albums).

Hi, Lyn,

LPs? Well, I remember queueing up for my copy of rubber soul and Sgt. Pepper's!

I don't live very far from Penny Lane, which is now full of rubbish like the The Penny Land Wine Bar and Sgt. Pepper's Bistro, plus all the street name signs are fastened to the walls, about 2 metres up, with security bolts! You can see them all from the Magical Mystery Tour, whihc of course passes the Yellow submarine down in the docks.

But the Japanese tourists seem to like it. ;-)

(I took that photo from the car window as I was driving past!)

Iechyd da! John
13:23 17/05/2003 BST

I remember buying the first Beatles LP released - Please Please Me - and my favourite track was 'I saw her standing there'. I still have that LP although unfortunately can no longer play it as I don't have a working turntable any more. I have bought a number of their CDs but I don't think ISHST is on any of them. Pity.

Dear Eggles and BigJohn,

I'm back...

Thanks for the various comments (which seemed to have devolved into a Beatles Fan List! Sorry, but I have never been much of a Beatles fan)!

I am presently checking BigJohn's Pagemaker tutorial.

However, regarding this comment:

"Windows XP update is the cause of your problems

Yes, there was a thread in AdobeForums (InDesign?) slagging it off, though I don't know how much substance there was. I have no desire to move to WinXP, and find Win2K extremely stable."

What is the fix for this problem?

Until next,

TheAcolyte

Hi, Lyn,

I was at Macca's concert on 1st June in Liverpool. He sang that! It was a superb show, There were about 35,000 of us inside the temporary stadium in the King's Dock and many thousands outside. It was stunning. Not bad for a lad with bus pass!

Hi, Acolyte,

> Windows XP update is the cause of your problems

I can't really comment not being a WinXP user, but I'll go along with "I have no desire to move to WinXP, and find Win2K extremely stable."

Iechyd da! John
00:02 18/06/2003 BST

I am running Windows XP and using Pagemaker 7 and Acrobat 5. When I try to convert a file to PDF, I get a message that says, "Could not print to the postscript file". Could someone please walk me thru the fix for this.

Copy the following URL into your browser and it will walk you through.

If the link doesn't work, then go to Adobe.com, click on the User-to-User forums, navigate to Pagemaker Windows, and check out the FAQs at the top of the topic list. There are 13 articles relating to creating PDFs from Pagemaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back