Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help problem accessing network printer blank pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millhouselives

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a small client that called me after they had a Sharp MX2300N copier/printer/fax machine installed in their office. The sales person installed printer drivers or try to install printer drivers on three computers, two desktops and one laptop. We will call then computer A, computer B, and computer c. This is a small peer to peer network. ISP is Verizon DSL. Router is connected to hub and building is CAT5 hardwired. Sharp is 192.168.1.5 Gateway is 192.168.1.1 Computers are 101 102 and 103. After the salesperson screwed around for awhile with their computers he announced that only computer A was able to print. Computers B and C would send print job to printer but pages come out blank. Salesman told them they was something wrong with their computers and left. This is where they called me. Here is what I have checked so far as far as basics go! All three computers are running Win XP Home SP2.

All three have Client for Microsoft Networking, File and Printer Sharing installed.
All machines have same Workgroup names. PC names are all different.
All are set to obtain TCPIP automatically.
All have folders shared.

What I can do...all computers can ping each other and all computers can ping the printer.

Computer C cannot see the Computer A or B. Computers A and B can see each other plus they can see C.

I can currently print from A where I shared the printer, next I uninstalled printer software from B, reinstalled it and now can print from computer B. However, since the computer that has the shared printer needs to stay powered on in order for other users to print they would like Computer B to be computer that stays on. So I unshared the computer on A, and shared it on B. A stills prints, but B only prints blank pages? Switch it back to sharing printer on A and unshare printer on B and both A and B will print fine.

As far as computer C, it for some reason cannot see the other computers, and says it is installing driver when I add printer to it, but only prints blank page. Using PCL5 on all computers.

Computer A and C have Norton Internet Security and I have configured the IP address to be added to the trusted zone on both. Also XP firewall is turned off on Comuter A and Computer C. Computer B has Norton AntiVirus 2003 and XP firewall on.

What we would like to end up with. Computer B would be left on, have the shared printer on it and Computer's A and C would be able to print using the Computer B shared printer.

Thank you for you help, I know its a long story but wanted to give as much detail as possible.

I'm glad this is your problem and not mine. Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if there are any clues to be gained from there?

Here are some things to look at, but to be honest I don't know where you start to sort out your problem, other than to make things as simple as possible and slowly add printers and computers to the network one at a time, checking for problems as you proceed.

See if you can use this article as guide to troubleshoot.

You cannot print documents after upgrade to Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP

Resources for troubleshooting printing problems in Windows XP

Printer spits out on its own
thread779-653940

Users can't print docs over 1Mb - but admin can!
thread779-1016521

linney, thank you for your reply. I will not be able to get back to the site under this weekend sometime. In meantime I will review all the links you listed. thanks again

Well finally able to get this printer working on Computer B by totally uninstalling all printer drivers down to folder and registry level. Next did a clean install of Sharp drivers and the was able to print find via Computer A where printer is shared. This all worked fine for two days. And then they shut down PC for some reason and when it (Computuer B) started back up they no longer could print. So now they have decided to get a new computer. So everything is on hold for a while. Thanks for your help so far. When new computer comes in I am going to start from scratch and will let you know what happens.

Final update, new computer came in and was setup with the Sharp printer. All has been working fine for a while now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back