Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!! Problem accessing *.dwg file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macquire

Technical User
Jun 11, 2002
SG
Hi, I have a file with *.dwg extension. Can anyone tell me what program that supporting such extension.
Thanks.

Strangely, my wife asked me the same question about two months ago. Apparently she had received some technical drawings in this format and needed a bit of kit to view. This is the link I sent to her, and Ive just asked her if it worked OK, and she said yes, so if it doesn't blame her.

Regards

Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

Yeah, that's an Autocad file. Autocad is several thousand dollars. Their website is at autodesk.com. They have a cheaper version called Autocad LT. You may be able to download a demo of that. They may also have a viewer available there. I have a demo of a 3d program that I got at Rhino3D.com and I just checked to see if it will load a .dwg and it did. It also let me modify the drawing and save it as a .dxf file which is a more universal file format that can be viewed in many programs. Keep the original .dwg file though, sometimes .dxf files don't show fonts and other things exactly as it does in Autocad. I can view a dxf file in my graphics program I got at jasc.com

The standard autocad file *.DWG is handled very well by a great little program called TurboCad LE, Free download is the education version and is around 7MB to download. It can be found at the following web site. Good luck.

rgd

I second the vote for TurboCad. I didn't even think of it, but that probably the smallest download of a working program that is similar to autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back