Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help please 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd1eg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I have now designed my graphics which i am going to use for my clients website, but unsure about what colour to use for the background, i was wondering if anyone could give me some help or advice on this.

Here are a couple of test pages i have uploaded, could you tell me what one you think looks best, and do you have any suggestions on what colour i should use?

thanks

edd

I took a peek at both links and both have broken images. The chosen backgrounds are safe colors. It's hard to go wrong with white. But since there were no images to compare with, I can't tell if the white or grey would look better.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

ok hang on and i'll fix it in a minute

edd

that should be fine now

thanks

edd

i know the problem, 2 minutes please

thanks

edd

It worked this time. I think the white looks cleaner. Would be best if you had the page flush against the upper left corner. One consideration though: If you plan on using a lot of white space in your site -- for example a fixed height for all your pages -- then the grey background may be better as it helps to define the edges of your site.

-

i changed the grey to a lighter shade, do you think this looks better?

have you got any suggestions on any other colours that may suit

Yes the webpage will always be in the centre of the page, as that is the way the client wants it.

Just another thing, i am using tables to build my page, and when i use tables it seems to always leave a space at the top, is there anyway i can get the top of the webpage to hug the top of the page?

thanks

edd

To make the table flush against the top, you need to put the following into the BODY tag:

marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 topmargin=0 leftmargin=0

One set works for Netscape, the other set works for IE.

The lighter grey does work better, especially if the client insists on centering the page. Maybe you can try a very pale greyish blue too, just to see if it compliments the blues of the design.

-

Where abouts in the body tag, me starts off like this

<body onLoad="MM_preloadImages

</body>

thanks

edd

Put it after BODY and before the onload. You only need a space to separate the new parameters from the onload.

-

It does look better flushed to the top. To change the background color you need to get the "hex value" of the color you want and replace the bgcolor value (in the body tag).

Here are a few light blues to try:
F0F8FF
F8F8FF
E0FFFF
F0FFFF
CAE1FF

Maybe you can also experiment with a contrasting color, like a light yellow.

Here are a few values for light yellow colors:
FFFACD
FAFAD2
FFF8DC
F5F5DC

-

Thanks for all your help so far and some of those colours are really nice.

I know this topic in the forum is not appropriate to ask this, but as i have designed the basis of the webpage for my client, the next step is to build a form similiar to this

but without the login part, i wondering if you could help with this, i'll give you my email address if you wish.

thanks

edd

Here are some sugestions that may look good.

A blue-grey pallet

thereptilian120x120.gif

Creating a form, if you don't know how already, is quite a big topic. A little broad for discussion in a thread. Check out this tutorial, it might be a good place to start:

Hey do I at least get a star for all my effort there?

-

Seems like people don't know how to give stars here anymore. I'll give you one, you were very dilligent in answering these questions.

Very kind of you Guru! You can imagine how well those little gold star stickers worked for me in grade school.
;-)

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back