Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

5uper5aiyan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2002
US
Is there a way to find out who has installed a program using full desktop? I thought everyone was locked down but there is a program newly loaded that shouldn't be there and I would like to know who installed it.

Thanks

Your best start might be to look at the properties of the executable and see who is listed as owner. Generally, the account that creates a file (and installing software obviously creates files) is listed as the owner.

Either that or the resource manager will tell you exactly who ran what and when. It can also tell you any changes made to the system.

Ok. Thanks guys I found out who installed it. Now how to I lock the app down so no one can install stuff? Do I have to do it through Group Policy or can I do it through Citrix?

Thanks in advance.

Do it through Group Policy and exclude apps like "setup.exe" and "install.exe".

Alternatively, look at AppSense, we are trailling it here soon. This will lock down your server completely, even if the user thinks they are being sneaky and renames it or tries to install it from a cmd prompt.

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back