Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

saida

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
AL
Hi, I have no experience at all with Oracle, though my boss asked me to solve a situation that involves Oracle, since there's no one else around to do it. We're using it with FieldView to enter data for some wells, and somehow in the last week the operator that uses the software can not access a particular well. Once she clicks in that well, the fieldview hangs and she has to rebot. The same when she prepares the reports, she has to excude that well otherwise she can't generate the report. There's nothing in the event view, except that when the operator tries to access that well teh system uses a lot of resources compare to the other ones. I know this might sound stupid questions to you guys, but can you please give mesome directions? I'm desperate.

You may need someone that knows Oracle to help you.

Perhaps it may be (or not) a problem with the data which causes the application to hang.

In any case, you need someone to connect directly to the Oracle database and check/fix the data -- or -- to trace the transaction and try to figure out what is happening.

There is not enough information in you post to be able to assess the problem.

[sadeyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

The thing is that with Oracle I feel like an alien on earth. I even don't know what information to give about the problem except the symptoms:-(
I wrote in this forum hoping that someone with experience on Oracle will give some kind of advice.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Saida,

LKBrwnDBA is absolutely correct...You wouldn't want a surgeon suggesting liver surgery just because your symptoms are that you "don't feel well and have a fever."

Saida said:
...my boss asked me to solve a situation that involves Oracle, since there's no one else around to do it.
If there is no one else around to solve the situation, why didn't s/he solve the problem her/himself? If s/he didn't solve it her/himself because s/he doesn't know anything about Oracle databases, then why is your expertise any better than her/his?

This is similar to people not paying for auto insurance, getting into an accident, then expecting "someone else" to pay for the accident besides themselves. If your boss is willing to pay nothing for Oracle expertise, then s/he gets what s/he pays for..."nothing".

We cannot diagnose a problem for which we have no more insight than what you have given us. When you say that you "...feel like an alien on earth," we feel similar...we are aliens to you code since we have no access to your code to isolate and troubleshoot your problem. Your boss needs to round up her/his shoulders and pay for an Oracle professional to help...you could become the "Oracle professional" yourself, but that takes training and time (neither of which you can afford under your emergency circumstances)...if you cannot become a trained "surgeon" in this emergency, yet you have been thrown into the "MASH Unit" to do the surgery, then your boss must be prepared to "lose the patient".

There are probably many Oracle professionals that can look at your code, troubleshoot, and solve your problem. Such professionals can do their work either on-site or remotely, but they will cost some money.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we would be "Malpracticing" if we suggested solutions without more facts.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Has your boss at least purchased technical support from Oracle? If so, you could start there.

Saida,

I re-read my earlier post and I came across way harsh. My harshness was certainly not meant for you...it was pointed toward the managers of this world that expose their naivete about technology by expecting employees that "work with computers" to be able to resolve instantly all issues relating to computers. (Similar to my neighbors that knows that I "do something with computers", so whenever he has a problem with his computer, regardless of hardware or software issues, he calls me up and wants me to "fix it for him".)

Certainly DDiamond's suggestion is, by far, your best, and most available, solution at this moment...And please accept my apologies for my earlier "exhibition of uncool."

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Hi guys,
Thank you for your suggestion Ddiamond. We did not purchase Oracle support so I’ll start with that.
SantaMustafa, I got your point, no need to apologise. These situations happen so often that I’m used to it, and I guess it doesn’t happen only with computer guys. I love my job, but these cases are probably the reason I love weekends too:)
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back