Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP PLEASE - Messed up e-mail address 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
Domino/Notes 5.0.11

I changed a users full name Friday by following the instructions in my book, and with some help from this list:

user: send name change request
admin: certify and send id back
user: accept new id
admin: add new username to user's access list
admin: change title in user's database
admin: change tools->pref.->belong to = new name
admin: add new username to groups
user: reload notes

That all worked fine, however the e-mail address that are being put on outgoing e-mails from this user is now messed up. Instead of the normal address flllll@domainname.com, it is now fffff_mmmmm_lllll%nnnnn@domainname.com

Where:

f = first initial
ffffff = first name
mmmmmm = middle name
llllll = last name
nnnnnn = notes domain

People can still reply to the e-mail, but the address will look odd to them, and in some cases (due to our network setup) this will NOT work.

I have checked the e-mail address these two places:

Office (right lower corner) - edit current
User name in People/Groups section of admin

and the correct e-mail address is specified there.

What do I need to do???

Thanks in advance,

Ole

You can put the correct e-mail address in the person document. 2 options, the internet address field or the first entry in the shortname field (this works also on R4.x)

The Internet Address is already set correctly, and the shortname is set correctly. The entries in the username (which I think you're refering to) are only for incoming e-mails.

In my own local location document, the e-mail address is set correctly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ole

Two things you can do, take your pick... my preference is the latter...

1.) Go to your configuration document for this server in the admin client (Configuration->Server->Configurations) and check the following: On the Mime tab: Conversion Options tab: Outbound tab: Look Up Internet Addresses for All Notes Addresses... field... check to see that it is enabled. This will force notes to use the Internet_name field when addressing.

- OR -

2.) Set up a Global Domain document that defines a distinct addressing format for your organization (The help docs are really good for setting this up). This will cause Domino to ALWAYS use the name format as defined in the Global Domain Document. Users cannot screw this up...

Leo L'Homme, PCLP

Thanks Leo,

I actually managed to correct the problem, or error as I have chosen to call it.

When I edited the current local connection, the correct e-mail address was there. However, if I changed it to anything else and saved it, the new address would show up on sent e-mails. All I had to do now, was to edit it again, and change it back to the correct one.

A little add-on to your knowledgebase :)

Thanks,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ole Drews Jensen
Systems Network Manager
CCNP, MCSE, MCP+I
RWR Enterprises, Inc.
OJensen@mail1.rwr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search