Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! PC won't even make it to BIOS. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcsmakemeangry

Programmer
Feb 6, 2005
US
Recently my compuyet has been freezing up at random times which I would just shut down manually and I would have to wait a few hours for it to be able to start up again. A few days ago it froze up again but never came back to me.
The computer seems as if everything is working, the fans the lights, the humming from the drives but when I turn it on the monitor goes into power svaing mode as if it isn't connected to anything.
i know that the monitor, video card, and harddrive are not the problem because they all still work on my old computer.
Like I said before the everything seems to be working fine but my Monitor is responding as if nothing is turned on but the monitor. I opened up the case to check for dust but there was very little and after I cleaned it the problem persisted. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cpu is an amd athlon xp 2200+, psu is a raidmax 420w.

CPU, powersupply, RAM, motherboard. These could all be your problem. You will need to eliminate them one at a time until you find the bad part. Try replacing them in your old computer(the ones you can).

Okay I'm 99% sure the reason my PC won't start is because of the cpu. When I took out my cpu to check if a pin had been damaged, I saw that the thermal paste on the cpu had melted off to the sides of the chip.

My question is...
1. will applying some new thermal paste be enough to fix the problem
or
2. will I have to buy a new cpu?

I have an asus mobo which has
" ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection)
ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection) is a hardware protection circuit that automatically shuts down the system power before temperatures go high enough to permanently damage your CPU."
but my comp won't start even after it hasn't been used for DAYS!

OK, this is driving me nuts. Pulled a working MOBO from a used unit (looks like a PCCHIPS with a soldered on Duron processor) when I install it into a test box, (with 100% reliable drives, vid. card, ps and memory) I get the cooling fan spin up but nothing else. When I remove the 80 conductor cables, I get power to the drives!!! I replaced with 40 conductor cables and get the same thing. I've checked everything! I even reapplied heat sink compound to the processor/heatsink. HELP!!!

Murm333
A+, DCP

Some things that might cause this are overheating and a bad power supply. Sometimes a power supply slowly goes bad and then just will not work.

If the heat is the issue then the CPU may have some Dust buildup arund the fins or between the fins and the fan that sometimes hard to spot. If you open up the case you can take a look and see what it looks like.

Occassionally the CPU or the memory can go bad too.

If you have moved the computer around or added something you may want to open it up and try reseating video cards or other components to make sure they are plugged in well. Sometimes grounding can casue problems with a I/O Card or the motherboard touching the metal case.

No matter what it is I recommend checking all the connections first.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I would also suggest that you take the motherboard right out of the case, take the power supply out also, and just have the power supply, video, 1 stick of ram, keyboard and mouse, cpu with heatsink\fan, see if it powers up.
We already know if wont work inside the case, but try it outside the case with most stuff disconnected, nothing in the pci slots unless you depend on your video, if video is built in or agp then nothing in pci slots, no usb hooked up, one stick ram, just the bare minimum and test it out.
Course you make sure that you put new thermal paste on your cpu if you take the heatsink\fan off.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back