Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on Unix server H/W specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy74

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2000
US
Can somebody help me with some info on a strategy to be followed for coming out with the Hardware specs for an enterprise Unix server. ..ie..how do i decide what server hardware to buy ..no of processors, memory ,disk space requirements etc ..ie what factors should i consider while ordering a new unix server etc. Any help would be graetly appreciated ,
Thanks in advance
rajeshrcmc rajeshrcmc@hotmail.com
"Better to ask a question once and be thought a fool once, than never to ask and remain a fool forever"

Hi Rajesh,

Sounds fun.

What will need to be running on this new machine then? How many users? How much storage space do you think you'll need? (If you're going to be running an application written by someone else they should be able to help you with that)

Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Rajesh,
Several thoughts on this: will this host a 2 or 3 tier client server app? What kind of app? How many users? How many transactions? Data retention and archival? Backup and restore ability? Lan conectivity (speed)? Swap space in support of memory? Also, I would consider any preconcieved notions in regards to service levels. As Mike mentioned, check with your App. provider. If purchased, see if you can speak with another customer of similar size and ask about any gotchas.

Joe

Stay away from product reviews on vendor's websites. Look to technical forums and try to find (if possible) a site that is running the same (or similar) app.

Everyone thinks their servers are the best. Dot-com's usually run SUN, ICANN runs IBM, Boeing uses IBM, Universities go between HP and SUN. The field is open. Consider that management will most likely go with the person with the nicest freebees (shirts/hats/luncheons).

Bill.

Thanks for the response Guys.
Actually my requirement is the guidelines to be followed when deciding on a hardware server configuration , i know it is a very broad topic , but if somebody is able to give some usefull tips or some documents or some advice on how they approach this topic would be very usefull and helpfull.
Thanks in advance,
Rajesh rajeshrcmc@hotmail.com
"Better to ask a question once and be thought a fool once, than never to ask and remain a fool forever"

The simple guideline is that you must know what it is the server will be used for, i.e. different specs for different uses. Having said that, I find that for most anything it's best to have at least two CPUs and 512MB RAM as a bare minimum.

Simply put server specs are dependent on the purpose of the server (this includes the apps you'll run, users, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back