Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on moving DHCP database from one server to aother

Status
Not open for further replies.

r8j8t

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2007
GB
Hello
The senario is like this:
We have DC say DC1 which is also our DHCP server. It is Win2003 R2 box.
I am putting up another DHCP server into our DR site. This server will be also our addtional DC in DR.
I have installed DHCP on my new standlone win2003 r2 box.
I searched MS site which told me to use netsh command to export my DHCP database if both my source and destiantion serverd are win2003.
I used the command and cexported the dhcp dtabse running on my live DHCP server. The command which is used was netsh dhcp server export C:\dhcp.txt all.
Now I will be copying our this file to my new DHCP server and use netsh commnad to import database.

My question is:
Is this the best method to move your DHCP database from one win2003 server to another. Kindly note that my new DHCP server will not be in process of leasing ip addresses.

Is copying the database over like this also copies all my config files and current scopes. I am not too much concerned about moving current leases.

I am trying this satuff first time , so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back