Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help On legacy FC4400 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPKORN

Technical User
Jan 10, 2005
US
Hello Everyone,

I recently aquired and FC4400 and I need some help figuring out how to configure it. First off, All lights are green, front and back. I am used to the old FC5600 which everything was done via serial console " Thanks to Maultier for all his help on that one" MY questions would be the followings.

1- Since this has an ether interface does it work as a stand alone systems or do I need to connect it to an emulex 8000 card on a windows system to configure it or can it be done via network inerface.

2- If question 1 does not apply, what would be the correct approach to configure this unit?

3- I have a silkworm 2250 fibre switch, would this be usefull for this system?

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

POPKORN

NaviAgent is the program that interfaces with the Navisphere Manager. Agent provides the communication channel between the manager and the clariion.

fcli> sp
SP A LOOP ID 0x1 (1.)
PROM Revision: 2.08 Microcode Revision: 05.32.01

I guess I am in the hole too..

lol

Maultier

"Normally, the use of a switch implies that you will use two or more processors to access the Clariion. You can still do that but then all luns on the Clariion are visible to all connected processors. I doubt that is what you would want..ergo the need for Access Logix."

I do have 2 processors on the unit, my firmware obviously does not have access logic on it. All I want is to have about 8 computers in my house have access to the 3 clariion units I have for storage. I have two FC5600 and one FC4400. I want to place all processors A and B on all units connected to the Silkworm switch and then all 8 workstations connected to the switch via emulex cards. Each pc will be able to see all processors and storage units.

Is this possible?

THANKS

Ok, I have the managemt server, navi agent, navi cli and managemetUI installed in the workstation aka destop computer. The the agent is running and I added the entry "Device COM1" and when I use the managementUI wich is the web based gui i get "unable to access security information" I have also programmed the processors with 192.168.XXX.XXX ip's and also reverted back to option 0 "zero" which is default for the serial app mode. I try to use the managementUI to connect to those two ip's using the 2162/2163 ,I get the same error "unable to access security information"

now As I was reading on the admin guide of navi.....

Host Agents reside on attached hosts. SP Agents reside on the storage processors (SPs) of the most current storage systems (such as, the FC4700), and are installed at the factory.
-----------------------------------------------------
Agents, management and cli are all on the workstation in my case.

------------------------------------------------------

A system with Storage Management Server software installed can also act as a portal for managing storage systems that do not have the Storage Management Server software installed (such as FC5300 and FC4500 storage systems). As a portal, the system forwards requests to the SP or Host Agent that is managing the storage system, and also collects information from the SP or Host Agent and relays that information to Manager 6.X for display updates.

-------------------------------------------------------

This totally confuses me due to the fact that this system has a management port and it listens to the following ports.

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp 0 0 *:23 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:2918 *:* LISTEN

fcli> sl
LAN Configuration: SP B LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)
Ethernet Address : 08:00:3e:2e:10:17
IP Address : 192.168.xx.xx
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address : 192.168.xx.255
Default Gateway : 192.168.xx.xx
SP Host Name : spb

and

LAN Configuration: SP A LOOP ID 0x1 (1.)
Ethernet Address : 00:01:af:00:28:25
IP Address : 192.168.xx.xx
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address : 192.168.xx.255
Default Gateway : 192.168.xx.xx
SP Host Name : spa

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp 0 0 *:23 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:2918 *:* LISTEN

----------------------------------------------------------

What I do notice is that in the managementUI you can choose between 80/443 and 2162/2163. Is there a way to chnge this on the managementUI as it has the wrong ports and maybe after this is changed from 2162/2163 to 2918 maybe the navi will work. NOt sure but its worth a shot for me.

sorry for all this rampage of words but I want to be as clear as I can so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks

I wasn't aware that you were using Navi 6. It is different from previous versions. It is correct that agent resides within the storage system on that model. You need to have Java on the management workstation. When it's all set up correctly, you just need to put the ip address of the Clariion in the ie address bar and log into the sp. I haven't set one up recently so, I'd have to go thru the motions to be more specific. I'd suggest reading thru the release notice for you version of navi.

I do have java on this machine, when I go to the sp ip:2918 it tries to load something but does not load correctly. it shows something like this on the IE page.

` @ ` @ 

its trying to send something just not sure thats going on..

Maultier,

After playing for a while with this system, I have come to the conclusion that this is not worth my time and effort. I though that the ethernet port on this one would act as a NAS server and it abviously wont happen. I opened the FC4400 and I was amazed at what I saw. It is basically an FC5600 with a eth port for telnet and remote monitoring using and old and I mean a very old navi management soft.

I am actually going to take this back to the place I bough it from and I am going to be looking at getting something I can setup a NAS with. I was looking at IP4700 but I am not sure. Is there anything else out there besides the IP4700 that can do this type of function without being ridiculous expensive like the new CX versions of the clariions.

What would you recommend??

THanks in advance

POPKORN

I believe the K1 (fc5300) will handle Access Logix. I'd have to verify that for you if you're interested but I'm pretty sure that is the case. The CX series will definitely handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back