Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help on case statement please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss7415

Programmer
Dec 7, 2006
US
I need to add a W to a field and i get an error

case
when qa.Wo_nbr is not null and ord.part is not null then 'W'+ qa.wo_nbr else 0 end as a

i get an invalid number error, but part and wo_nbr are both strings

Perhaps this (ANSI SQL syntax)?
CASE
WHEN qa.Wo_nbr IS NOT NULL AND ord.part IS NOT NULL THEN 'W' || qa.wo_nbr ELSE [!]'[/!]0[!]'[/!]
END AS a

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Try putting quotes around the 0. Like so '0'

Both parts of a CASE must be same data type.

And in the future, try forum183 (assuming this is a SQL Server question)

Hope this helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Try...

Code:
case 
when qa.Wo_nbr is not null and ord.part  is not null then  'W'+ qa.wo_nbr else [!]'[/!]0[!]'[/!] end as a
Notice the single quotes around the 0. The first part of the case statement returns a string, but the second returns a number. By putting single quotes around the 0, you are now returning a string that just so happens to be a number. The important point to remember is that all return values from the case statement should have the same data type.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

I guess you need to say not sure though.
I think it is considering 0 in else as number and giving this error.

case
when qa.Wo_nbr is not null and ord.part is not null then 'W'+ qa.wo_nbr else '0' end as a

hope this helps
thank you
keerthana

wow. thanks so very much, sir or maam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back