Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on an ASM8+ with a BCM 450 release 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTL555

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
I can not get a ASM8+ to work on a BCM 450 release 1.0.

Yes... as simple as it may seem, I can not get this to work.

Updated with the lastest patches, installed the element manager from the BCM 450 after the patches, all my six dip switches are in the On position on the right and the other 8 are set in the Off position. I've even set the first dip switch on the right to On for enhanced mode. Ran Coldstart, but I still can not get it to work.

I've even put in a GASM and a ASM8 in place of the ASM8+ and it comes right up and works.

I've tested the ASM8+ in a BCM 400 and a BCM 50 and it both works in those units.

So any suggestions?

NTL555

Where are you located?
I have a chart which shows which countries have full support, limited support or no support for the MBM's on the BCM450

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

Dallas, Texas with a BCM purchased in North American.

NTL555

According to the chart, North America has Full Support on the BCM450 for the ASM8+

The only other thing in the doc I have (albeit UK doc) is

ASM Analog Station Module Configuration
1. There are no module specific settings for ASM modules. However, port details can viewed.

Dont think this will help you, does the nodule enable?

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

The Power LED on the ASM8+ is a solid green but the Status LED is constantly flashing green. It never initializes.

Originally I thought it could be a bad slot, but attempted to de-configure the module, change the module to None, and then shut down and inserted a DSM32+ and a GATM8 in its place and repeated the installation process for those modules. Each came up within minutes.

So now I have this puzzled look on my face.

NTL555

unfortunately, I am at also at a loss on this one, let's hope one of the other guys on here have a solution.

Best of luck

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

Doc's states you must configure the MBM module first then power down and insert it..

Check your alarms to see if the country down load has "started"..it can take a while to complete..THEN

Check your alarms to see if download has "completed ".

I read that part as well and tried it hoping it would work, but that I believe only applies to adding stuff in the Expansion unit.

The doc says "If you are installing an MBM in the main unit, the MBM must be installed before it can be configured. If you are installing an MBM in the expansion cabinet, configure it first, then install it in the appropriate MBM bay." The doc also says, "you must reboot the BCM 450 system for the module to function properly."

The alarm log does not show download log is complete. It jsut shows me shutting it down and me logging into the unit.

NTL555

Update. So I've tried everything I knew what to do and do not approve what I am about to tell you, but it worked.

I got frustrated and took out the module hot (which I personally hate doing), double checked my switches, and inserted the MBM while the system was powered up (which I do not recommend.)

As soon as I inserted the MBM, the LEDs blinked amber quickly, started to flash green, and appeared to be downloading its firmware.

Now they are both enabled. Inserted different MBM and each boot up now.

I am still puzzled to why it wouldnt boot. But if it works it works. But thank you to supportdude, option11newby, and snowman50.

NTL555

Did the alarm log show you it ""STARTING"" the download.

The main Cab MBMs should also be configured first then power down and insert your card.

I've had to hot/reseat DTMs before to get them to clear. Scary, but if it works, priceless.

"Adversity is Opportunity

Snowman, yes it did show "started firmware download." Funny thing is once I inserted the card live, the BCM started to download its firmware and within seconds the MBM came right up.

I did attempt to configure and then install the module on Friday, but it didn't work. I will try what you suggested that next time I work on a new BCM 450. Might be faster in bringing the modules up.

The only reason why I had this problem is because we shipped out an ASM8+ to be installed into another BCM 450, and it was doing the exact same problem.

NTL555

I had that exact same problem where the asm8+ would not work on a Bcm450 but tested OK in a Bcm400.
It turned out to be both bus 2 and bus 4 defective in that brand new Bcm450.Issued an RMA and received a new Bcm.
All working fine now.

Another Update.

I had 5 more of the ASM8+ in stock and each had to be inserted HOT for the system to even start the firmware download and to be recognized by the system.

I dont know, but hope this helps anyone.

NTL555

I have other issues with that same setup with faxing. I have BCM450 with ASM8 and the physical fax machines work fine, but the USRobotics modems will not complete faxes and the pitney bowes postage machine would not work.. I had to order POTS lines to fix postage and faxing. I have a traditional PRI digital handoff and never use POTS lines with the BCMs because analog usually works perfect. Not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back