Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold8

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2002
IN
Hi all,

I know this is a stupid question...but How do I install Active Directory ? I mean I've tried the regular method ie.
1. run dcpromo 2.create a new domain tree (need this to be a new domain controller).3. create a new forest of domain tree. 4. Full DNS name :- xyz.com. 5. netbios name :- xyz
6. database and log location 7. Syslog location and them...
"the wizzard cannot contact the DNS server that handles the name xyz.com...." and then at I'm asked to confgure DNS on this server recomended...at the end...."the operation failed with the following error. The network location cannot be reached.

Now I had already configured this to be a DNS Server too with the FW and reverse zones. Do, I need this Server to be online in order to setup Active Directory?

The only reason I need Active Directory here is bec I want to insatall Exchange 2000. Please help me out here.

Yes the DNS needs to be online
when installed you can customize tcp/ip and in doing so set the new server to point to the dns server
Is this a new DC on an existing domain?

Does the server in question have a network connection? You'll need one to install AD.

Patty [ponytails2]

hi seamus and Patty...to answer you...this is just a test server...with a registered domain name, and it has 2 network cards...but not currently online.I'm hoping that this will be a DNS Server too. One question...do I have to be online to do all this ? even if I'm testing.
This is the domain controller with no current users since I'm just doing some R&D on it.Are there any other options to install active active directory ? Like I said....my main aim finally is to installed Exchange 2000 !

Arnold8,

Yes and no, you need to be "online".
If you do not want to connect the computer to a network but still want to install AD you need to install a Microsoft loopback adapter. See the following:

Best Regards
Mattias Kressmark

Active Directory will not run or install if you do not have a DNS running on a Windows 2000 server. Make sure you firstly have DNS installed on a Win2k server and make sure the SRV records have been registerd in your forward lookup zone.

I have been doing this recently and and had the same errors when running DCPROMO and it was cause I never had the DNS SRV records configured correctly, once i got the DNS right everything worked fine. If your SRV records are not registering you can try and stop and restart the netlogon service a few times to see if that registers the SRV records.

If this does not work I would remove DNS from the server and re-install it. Also make sure that your DNS setting for your network card point to itself and make sure your network indentification TAB in the system aplet in the control pannel has the DNS suffix after the computer name. You do this by clicking on the MORE button when you have the network Identification page open.

Hope this helps.....

thank...all your help worked

I just about hate to spout out, but microsoft does not make anything easy. It seems the more I learn about Active Directory the more I want to use Novell's E-Directory which is easier to implement and manage. Coupled with Zenworks for Desktops and it would be identical to AD. Sorry I am just venting as I have to roll this out (AD) and its not pretty.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back