Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help--ODBC, Access 2000, SQL Server, Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbaruth

Programmer
Nov 11, 2000
US
Help!!

I have a Windows NT Server box running SQL Server with a working database.
I have a Windows 98 box running SQL Server, able to connect to the NT box. This box is running Office 2000. I installed several service packs and MDAC 2.6 to make it so I could connect to the SQL database through Access.

Now I have a Windows 2000 box. I installed SQL Server, and can see my data on the NT box just fine, but when I go to use it in Access, I get ODBC--Can't connect to "my database" database.

I have done the following:

Installed MDAC 2.6
Added the ODBC source in the ODBC Data Source Administrator--Tests completed successfully

Help....why isn't it working?

Two guesses (and both probably wrong, but who knows!):

1) the database is set as single-user (which is not the default)

2) the user/login you are trying to use does not have permissions in that particular database (since the error is not "could not connect", I'd consider this first).

Robert Bradley

I have exactly the same problem with an ODBC connexion to an Access DB on Win2k. Can confirm that it is not either of the two suggestions Robert Bradley has made. Any other thoughts?

Yeah, I am having the same problem. I want to set up a Win 2000 laptop to run as both client & server (it's a web-based interview for a clinical trial). I can't connect to my Access db even tho it's registered as a system DSN. How can I make sure all the security stuff is configured correctly? Because the laptop will be both server and client, the security thing isn't an issue. Is there some way to just turn it off?

BTW, everything works fine under Win 98.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

You might have installed a program which is overriding original Microsoft Data Access Component directly installed with Office 2000. Unfortunately I had exactly the same problem with a Win98 notebook and tried many ways to solve the issue (installed Office 2000, installed MDAC 2.6,re-installed Win98 etc.) The only solution of the problem was formatting the disk and installing everything again. MDAC handling is a very nasty problem.

I have W2K Pro,MSSQL 6.5 and Office 2K with standard installations and no problem connecting to any of the databases.

ergult

In your system DSN, click on the client options button and confirm that your protocol settings match that of your server. I have problems connecting to any SQL server version if the DSN defaults to named pipes - I change the default to TCP/IP sockets and it works like a champ.

Also be aware that MDAC 2.6 doesn't have jet service packs included. If you are using MAD 2.6, make sure to download the jet service packs from microsoft.

Hi! why this error is comming ple help

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
/login.asp, line 81

I've migrate Db from Access97 on Win98 to Access2000 to Win2000. My Odbc connections are working, but they are slower. I'm using ASP (IIS) to connect to the DB. How can I spend unless the same time querying the DB with the newer configuration? It is taking 6 to 10 times longer to get data.

Hi,
I would appreciate if anybody out there could help me set up my ODBC. My ODBC connection is not working. I'm using ASP (IIS)to connect to the DB but I keep getting this error message

Error Type:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed /scripts/test/insertdata.asp, line 17

I have compared the configuration for ODBC winNT with win2000 but there's not much of a difference. The only thing different is the version.

Is it because of my script or because of my ODBC setting? I really need some advice here.

i have this problem with Access 97 on windows2000 when i try to connect myself to a database:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed formulaire.asp, line 17

please help me.

I have the same problem too. I am running on a Windows 2000 and Access database. I received this error:

Error Type:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
/signupuser.asp, line 38

How do I fix it? I've changed my access rights already.

Hi-

I have been having the same problem between my connection to Access and SQL Server. My problems went away when I disabled Named Pipes in SQL Server. Then I re-configured the dsn to be TCP/IP. The key is to install the SQL Server Client Network utility on your client's machine, so that they can also use TCP/IP.

Even if you don't install the SQL Server tools on the client machine, you may be able to switch the protocols by using the ODBC Manager and its configuration screen that is SQL Server-specific. -----------------
Robert Bradley
use coupon code "TEKTIPS" for 15% off at:

80004005 Operation must use an updateable query.

Is almost ALWAYS a permissions issue... you're trying to write to the database through ASP but the permissions on the database aren't set to allow "everyone" (which is what you are when you come at it through a website) write access. Store your database outside of your directories and set the permissions on that database (or the folder with your databases) to allow everyone to write to them. Should fix the updateable query problem anyway.

The problem I am having is that I cannot see my tables in my SQL database when linked into access 2000.

I make the connection and get a list of system tables in access but I cannot see the table I created.

Please help aaguirre3@yahoo.com

The RE: Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed error:

Try making your DSN a system-only DSN. Remove any user DSNs you may have set up with the same name, and configure your database as a system DSN. See if that works.

I use UltraDev and had this same problem. I found the solution at:

ANSWER for W2K, IIS5, ODBC, Access2K, error: "Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed":

1. Double-check that the DSN is a System DSN, and that it is pointing to the correct database. (I'm only saying this because I had it wrong too! ;) )

2. Grant Modify permissions to "Authenticated Users" for the database.

Disclaimer: I'm no NT/2000 guru, so I don't know what this will mean as far as security concerns are concerned?!!! Also, I'm not sure WHICH authenticated user it is... (It doesn't seem to be the IUSR_... account) but it does seem to work!!

Hi,

I have similar problem.
I have some data stored on SQL server, and some other data in Access which store in another NT4.0 server. In one Access 2000 table, I make an ODBC link to the SQL tables I want. Test connection okey, and able to see the SQL data within Access MDB.

But when using ASP and query those SQL tables stored in the Access 2000 mdb, I get:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection to 'SQLConnection' failed.

SQLConnection is my system DSN.

Any idea can suggest me to overcome that.

I'm having a weird problem in which I cannot connect to my Access database under Win2K using ODBC and an application program that I wrote. It appears to be a permissions issue because if I log on as a local administrator it works just fine. In fact, if I create the user DSN's as an administrator, then log off and log on as non-admistrator it works as well! It just will not work, if I create the user DSN as a non-administrator.

Also, the same application works find under NT 4.

Any thoughts? :)

I am trying to connect to an SQL Server 7.0 on an XP machine from a Win98 machine (both machines are in the same workgroup and can see each other). Ok, this is the problem. I can't create either User or DNS connection unless i turn on the DSL modem. This only happens on these 2 particular machines. I tried connect to the SQL Server from a different win98 machine and it worked. I also tried to connect to a different SQL Server 7.0 on a different XP machine from the win98 machine and it also worked. Any suggestion would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back