Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wfuphan

MIS
Jul 8, 2004
US
Hello,
I'm having a problem with two queries that I want to interact. I have one query that searches for a certain Document Status and the other that searches for Document Type. I want to be able to search for a particular type of document and then continue to narrow the search by entering the status of the document. However, when these two queries are connected with an AND statement, I can't leave one query blank because all I receive is an empty table.
So, I guess the question is, how do I set this up so that an empty field will return all records?
Here's my query: SELECT [Outgoing Doc Log].[Log Number], [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Number], [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Title], [Outgoing Doc Log].Status, [Outgoing Doc Log].Author, [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Type]
FROM [Outgoing Doc Log]
WHERE ((([Outgoing Doc Log].Status) Like [In-progress, Post Check, or Completed?] & "*") AND (([Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Type]) Like [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] & "*"));
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Are Status and Document Type defined both as Text fields in the Outgoing Doc Log table ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

The table is an access one or a sql server one ?
Your query is in a mdb or adp database ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

The table was made in access, and the query is in a mdb database.

So, this should work:
SELECT [Log Number], [Document Number], [Document Title], Status, Author, [Document Type]
FROM [Outgoing Doc Log]
WHERE Status Like [In-progress, Post Check, or Completed?] & '*'
AND [Document Type] Like [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] & '*'
;

Hope This Helps, PH.

That works, but is there a way where I can leave the fields blank and it will return all values, instead of just the records that have a specified document type?

What happens when you enter nothing in the [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] InputBox ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

Well, if I specify a status to look for, it returns all the documents that have been given a document type for that particular status. For example, if I specify "Completed" it will return all the Completed documents that I have assigned a type to. However, if the type field is empty it skips over the document.

Have you tried this ?
AND Nz([Document Type], "") Like [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] & '*'

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back