Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed with button states and keyframes. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdFusionKing

Programmer
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Hello Everybody,

I need somebody to help me. I'll try and provide as much detail as possible. I have developed a photo gallery in flash. Its a photo gallery of places and politicians.

In my timeline I have a layer called "places". On the "places" layer I have a button which reads "places", the buttons four states (up, over, down, hit) each set to display different button states ("UP" displays a blue button, "Over" displays a green button, "Down" displays a yellow button", "HIT" does nothing). Similarly, I have another layer called "politicians" below the "places" layer. Below that I have 6 other layers, caption_places, leftHandPix_places, placesPix, caption_politicians, leftHandPix_politicians and politiciansPix (in that order). So just to recap I have 8 layers in my timeline, this is the order:

places
politicians
caption_places
leftHandPix_places
placesPix
caption_politicians
leftHandPix_politicians
politiciansPix

The "caption_places" layer has 30 keyframes, each displaying a caption for the picture.

The "leftHandPix_places" layer has only one keyframe that displays a picutre of a place.

The "placesPix" layer has 30 keyframes, each displaying a picture

I hope this is making sense. Now then, when the user clicks on the "Places" button, he sees a picture of a place, he can then see the next picutre in the place picture gallery and so forth. I want the "places" button state to be "green" (Over) for as long as the user is in the places category. When he clicks on the "Politicians" button, the Politician button should be selected and should stay selected for as long as the user is viewing the politicians photo gallery.

Can somebody show me how to do this please. I would really appreciate your help.

Best Regards
Allan

Please can somebody help me with this. If you have any questions please ask and I'll be happy to answer.

The way to do it is most probably to use a button movie clip, that when pressed, is moved to another frame where lies the "over" state, and which remains on that frame until another button is pressed.
You could also use a replica of your button's over state in a movie clip (laid over your button) and play with the visibility of this movie clip (on or off) when the button is pressed.

If you email me your .fla, I could probably try to implement it on one of your buttons...

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

I have! And can open this MX formated one. Why did you delete the other stuff? Was it too large even when zipped up?
Quite busy, but will try and work on it later today.
Where are located? You don't seem to be in the same time zone?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

thanks mate. Can you also add a preloader that only get displayed when the movie is loaded. So basically what I'm asking is a page which displays a preloader 1 - 100% before anything is displayed. The gallery will display over 100 images and you can imagine the time it will take to display the movie. I will be really greatful if you could add a preloader. I'm from London, UK. Will be at work for another 2 hours. Please let me know if you can do this. If you can't do this today, then can you please do this for Monday. I will really appreciate your help

Regards
Allan

I can work on this over the weekend.
The preloader is not a problem... But I would of liked to see the rest of your deleted layers... I think all of those would need major re-workings and can't do that if I don't see them. Think zipping & e-mailing me the complete .fla (MX only format!) would be possible?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

I can't because the fla size is 39 MB. I removed the other layers because they are not required for the functionality you have agreed to do. Thank you for agreeing to add the preloader. Have a good weekend mate.

Hi again oldnewbie. I have now sent you the complete version of my fla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back